knife block

Any recs? ones you like in particular?

Need a new one.

Gracias

The ikea vertical wooden one. Saves on counter space. No joke.

That would certainly suck if either/both—

a) under a cabinet
b) the knife’s edge would contact the stainless bands if someone was not concentrating

YMMV newhere

How many knives are you looking to hold?

about 7, no huge knives, largest is 10inches

wow, a subject Fu hasn’t mastered–best knife blocks! I am stunned.
http://www.mocwoodworks.com/m.o.c.-boards/m.o.c.-board-12-wenge-magnetic-knife-strip/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_ZOlBRD64c7-gOzvrP0BEiQAAYBnd0pxzIbus9PUCRJ6YclKZxO-QmkK3tCK4d8lTc9rzIsaAt_98P8HAQ

ha

I would love one of these magnetic strips, but my wife refuses. She’s afraid it’ll drop and kill our dog.

I’m not a knife block fan as I am very protective of my counter space – I use in-drawer knife racks instead.

Anyhow, I think that the Vermont Butcher Block and Board Company has some elegant looking blocks, and they will also custom make them if you want to go that route. You could pick out some wood that would match your kitchen, your preference, or your wife’s.

http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/collections/utensils-bowls-platters-knife-blocks

k.

^^I took this guy’s advice from the J-knife thread and did an in-drawer block - we had a W-S gift card laying around, so I got this:

I use it in a custom drawer in the kitchen island I built - I actually mis-calculated the depth (went too shallow) and had to run the knife block through my table saw…but she fits now and I like the counter space savings. My previous was a wall-mounted magnetic bar, but my wife had a habit of pulling knives by rocking them onto the edge side to break the magnetic hold - which was the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

I do have a in drawer knife rack. So I guess i’ll just stick with that. Was just afraid of my wife not drying a knife properly when I’m not home and it resulting in rust in a cabinet.

Do you have carbon steel knives? 99% of knives on the market are stainless and should have no issue with rusting - unless you subject them to serious abuse.

my wife could probably cause rust on a piece of paper if given the chance [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Have drawer knife rack and love it. Assorted blades with a sharpener. Just before the holidays took out my electric sharpener and rehoned several of them, what a difference, so much easier to use.

I use this. All blades stored upside down. Paid $20 on RuLaLa

I built a residential-commercial kitchen in our house in 1992, when Carrie was chef/manager at the Elks Lodge. I asked her a dozen times if my design was okay and what if anything she wanted incorporated. The only two things she wanted in the center island were a drawer with a knife block for her knives and a single wide cupboard with vertical separators deep enough for her sheet pans.

Have you considered something like this with skewers?
We have one similar.
Works pretty well, and it’s just different.
image.jpg

fyi, this is my drawer set-up.

k.
knife_drawer.JPG

Very Nice!

Charlie, you let your wife use your knives! You are a better man…