Food Trends to Retire in 2015

It seems an article on this topic comes out every year. Here is one installment for this year. From a Twin Cities publication, so I need to add the disclaimer that some of what is written may have already bitten the dust one or two years earlier in your neck of the woods.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2015/01/10_food_trends_we_hope_will_retire_in_2015.php

How about we retire these sanctimonious articles. Self-fellating garbage. If you don’t like something, don’t order it or don’t patronize the restaurant - the market shall speak.

And charcuterie boards are a great go-to appetizer for groups.

Kale in anything other than cooked greens, please.

true story on those charcuterie boards.

I’m neither here nor there on these supposed trends.

But if we’re talking annoying food-related trends, here’s the one trend that I hate and hope is retired: good restaurants (usually “hip” restaurants) that don’t take reservations. There is a supposedly very good (perhaps excellent) restaurant here in town (Coltivare) that I’ve never been to because, although I’m willing to book a month or more in advance, I can’t wait for two hours for a table with a toddler and babysitter at home, and/or with friends to meet. Makes it impossible to plan with friends and it’s downright annoying under any circumstance. I’m fine with a restaurant reserving some tables for walk-ins, but if you’re a popular restaurant, you should take reservations. End of rant.

+1 Walrus & Carpenter in Seattle…
i’d be there way more often… but 2 hour wait is not possible now…

I just wish truffle oil would completely go away.

I’ve seen several dishes I would order had they not used truffle oil.

And WTF is wrong with tap water?

I think you, Nolan, have more than enough support for that one. I like the stuff so I’m not sure why people get worked up over it. I don’t want it on everything on everything of course, but I like my truffle oil popcorn. I like my truffle oil fries.

Bacon.

Not a food trend, but…
“Daily Drinkers”
Why not buy quality and just drink less?

P.S. I like truffle oil and bubbly water, especially the Italian kind with the little bubbles.

I LOVE truffles, but truffle oil is too often overused and it’s not an equal substitution.

Kind of tastes and smells like someone pulled some truffles out of a dumpster.

I was just going to agree with this heartily but I’ll go in on the truffle oil hate.

The ubiquitous term “farm to table” - way over used. All food originates in a farm of some sort and ends up on a table so even fast food will start using it soon. I appreciate what Alice Waters started 40+ years ago but some are taking full advantage…

I have four letters for you. KALE. It’s a freakin garnish people. Somewhere sophisticated societies are laughing there ass off at us.

Man. I like sautéed kale :angry:

And I like beet salad pileon

Me, too, but I won’t eat it until they end the kale abuse (I will eat cavalo nero, though). Kale smoothies are fetishistic

You are both wrong and should feel badly.

Totally agree. A lot of the hot restaurants in DC have gone to this model and it just does not work if you have young kids and you need to hire a babysitter.