Beginner's Guide to Dim Sum

http://luckypeach.com/the-beginners-field-guide-to-dim-sum/

Beautiful illustrations and good little chunks of details/history.

could really go for some dim sum right now

Calling James Dietz, calling James Dietz!

This is something I’ve never eaten in my entire life…

you’ve never had dumplings, rolls, or buns???

f*cking weirdo

Maybe Chris meant the penny to the left? [scratch.gif]

Are there any plans to change that??

f*cking weirdo…

I miss good dim sum. When I have enjoyed it in the US its been from trolleys, is that normal, in London its brought to order.

it’s a mix. In Los Angeles all of the new dim sum places are now bring brought to order. Most of the old school places still have the carts. It’s the same in HK, you’re seeing a gradual transition to the higher end “made to order”. I think the only night time dim sum sit down restaurant in LA (or at least the only one i know of right now) just opened in Pasadena. It’s pretty damn good for being in Pasadena.

you should weigh 400 pounds with all your food experience.

Lucky for him he’s only 5’1" so he’s just shy of two-fiddy.

The first time I ever ate dim sum remains one of the most memorable meals I’ve ever had. It was an old-school cart place in Honolulu. Simply awesome and a ton of fun as a kid.

I have the same memory from the same time I ever ate from a pu-pu platter in Miami in the mid 80s. flirtysmile

Chris many of the places in Chinatown serve all day. I stop in when I can. Mmmmmm now I’m thinking I’m due.

Are you referring to Ken’s chocolate anuses?

Two boys, one platter.

I used to have a t-shirt with a similar gist back in my misguided youth days.

Dude, that is so very wrong.

That said, it wasn’t long ago that Abercrombie and Fitch had this for sale…

You have to hope that the idiot who thought it was a good idea is now asking whether anyone wants fries with their order.

One of my favorite local restaurants is Wonder Seafood in Edison NJ. They serve Dim Sum on Sundays (maybe other days) – the owner originally had a restaurant in New York’s Chinatown and they bring everything around on carts, and make cryptic marks on a little paper menu to keep track of what you have eaten – the old fashioned way.

It’s hard not to fill up on the first 3 or 4 carts but of course that is when the REALLY GOOD stuff comes around. One always ends up over-stuffed.

I did learn not to buy the chicken feet…