Coffee maker recommendations?

We have a Capresso CoffeeTec 471 that seems to be on its last gasping breath. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement/upgrade? The things we really like about it and would want in the next machine are: 1. Thermal carafe; 2. Removable water reservoir; 3. Programmable start.

We also have a Capresso espresso maker, but that thing won’t let water pass through if the grinds are fine or if they’re tamped down with anything other than a feather. A combo drip/espresso machine would be ideal, but not necessary. (FWIW we have a burr grinder we like so that won’t be needed) I don’t mind spending for a machine that’s worth it, but under $500 would probably be necessary to convince my wife…

Thanks in advance!

Technivorm Moccamaster

Either of these:

Unless they changed the design, it doesn’t hit his qualifications.

I love my Technivorm Moccamaster, personally :smiley:

Check out the brehmor plus…

I own a tecnivorm and were it to buy another that’s what I would get.

Another satisfied Technivorm user for when I want drip coffee as opposed to espresso. I prefer it over most press and pour-over options.

It has a thermal pot, but doesn’t meet the other specifications. A removable water reservoir would be nice, but I personally would never need an auto start, as I think pre-ground beans have a significant negative impact on taste.

Thanks everyone. The Brazen sounds interesting, but I think we’re leaning towards the Bonavita 1900TS. Our specs aren’t set in stone, just features we enjoyed with the Capresso and mostly for convenience for my wife.

As a side note to relate this topic to wine, I found it interesting and amusing seeing that Consumer Reports scores these three near the bottom of its ratings (46, 44, and 41 pts / 100) whereas a Cuisinart and Mr. Coffee were highest rated at 87 and 83 pts. Kinda shows how silly points are…

Kyle

We have the Bonavita 1800SS. Great machine, perfect brew temp, fast brewing. Does not have a programmable timer but not an issue due to brew speed (6 min). Pot is 8 cups so a little on the small side if you have a couple of people taking multiple large fills. Of course easy to brew another small pot due to speed, has an easy to read cup marking on water fill reservoir so no guessing on water fill. Water res is not removable either.

I don’t think the 1900 model is programmable but not sure. Just wanted to make you aware if that was a deal killer.

Please report back on the Bonavita. It does look like a nice machine for the money.

The pourover feature-- and the pause to let the grounds “bloom”… of the Brazen is a real plus, IMO, but I’ve read about so many problems, I guess I’d avoid that.

I have Technivorm…and have for almost 10 years. No complaints…though it is pricey. The key to all of those mentioned (Bonavita, Brazen, Technivorm…is the high temp brewing.

The 1900 has that feature, and those Brazen reports are leaning us to Bonavita. Doesn’t look like it ships til end of Feb. though.

We have a bonavita, but I often find myself going to manual pour over. I’ve found the bonavita water temp too hot for some beans.

Dan…I don’t know enough to know how that would manifest itself? Can you elaborate? I’ve always read/thought since reading that hot was better…for extraction of the oils. And, which kinds/styles of beans are more inappropriate for hotter water? (I do know I can’t taste/drink coffee from those higher heat machines until they cool off…it’s painful for me…and the nuances get blurred. My wife heats water in the mug first…to make sure the Technivorm coffee is hot enough I guess…we’re not well matched.)

Stuart – There are so many variables, it’s a bit hard to give an exact answer… Some of my favorite beans to brew are African dry processed which can give a wild, fruity cup. From various testing I’ve found a slightly lower temp (190-200) can provide a sweeter, more enjoyable cup with all the nuance and complexity desired. Drip coffee has more latitude, but when you get into espresso and such short extractions even 1 degree can make a lot of difference.

I do like most Central American beans in the Bonavita. I forgot to note earlier but I’ve also seen uneven water dispersion on the showerhead of my Bonavita.

Anyone hear of the Ratio coffee maker?

Yeah, saw that. Looks beautiful, but not what we’re looking for.

I’ve found this with my Technivorm, as well. I always stir the grounds at the beginning stages of each brew to ensure they’re all used evenly.

Personally, I enjoy the fact that it has two buttons - one to brew, the other to keep the burner on. Given I never leave a pot on long enough to need the second, it’s quite literally a push-button machine :smiley:

Still not sure we’re talking about brewing temperature vs. drinking temperature. I can’t drink/taste hot coffee, but I’d rather have coffee from a high temp brewing system…and let it cool off…than lower brewing temp…like a cuisinart/Mr. coffee…

And…none of the machines I’ve ever used that brew at high temps (Technivorm, Newco) allow for control over brewing temps, so…I’ve never tried to mess with the temps.

Not out yet, right?

I’m waiting for initial reviews to come in before deciding on whether to get one. In theory I want one but I’ll see.

We bought the Bonavita 1900TS about 11 months ago. Been very happy with it. Just this week I noticed the reservoir was starting to show signs of cracking - no leaking yet, but didn’t want to wait to contact Bonavita. Great customer service from Clive Coffee and Bonavita as there is a new brewer on the way!

Neat, I see you checking in on a thread you started.

I’ve had a Technivorm for many years, good machine, but I don’t like that I can’t wash the thermal carafe in the dishwasher. I might even be tempted to try a Bonavita sometime but like other folks here have been doing pourovers the last several months. Low tech in a nice way.

My latest infatuation is with an Aeropress the last few weeks. Like Dan says I think some of the fruity acidic African coffees do well with slightly lower temp and that’s how the Aeropress is used, then I can add more coffee and still get a sweet cup that’s somewhere between drip and espresso.