Coffee maker recommendations?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
keithrherrick

#51 Post by keithrherrick » March 23rd, 2016, 2:16 pm

I have the Bonavita at work, and use it everyday. i fold over the filter as instructed and have never had coffee go anywhere, other than the carafe... i do need to invest in a thermal carafe though.

I could not tell a difference between this and a Technivorm Moccamaster in terms of quality, but I have heard that the techni has reliability problems.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#52 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 23rd, 2016, 2:27 pm

reliability?? what does that mean/do you mean?

GMcCarthy

#53 Post by GMcCarthy » March 23rd, 2016, 2:29 pm

Never had any issues with our 5+ yr old Technivorm, nor have I heard of reliability issues in the press.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

#54 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 23rd, 2016, 2:46 pm

I dislike several things about the Technivorm I've had for a dozen years or so....including the price and customer service, but....don't understand a problem with "reliability". It's a tank.

If I needed a new machine, I wouldn't buy another..probably a Bonavita thermal, but.....

keithrherrick

#55 Post by keithrherrick » March 23rd, 2016, 2:52 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:reliability?? what does that mean/do you mean?
I honestly do not remember. I purchased the bonavita over a year ago. my experience had been with the techni that a local wine shop used to make employee coffee. i thought the coffee was impressive for drip, and did some online research to see if anything else compared in quality. I was swayed towards the bonavita due to what i read on some coffee blogs. it seems members of this forum have had a different experience.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by SeanHarding » March 23rd, 2016, 9:50 pm

For those of you with a Bonavita with the thermal carafe, how do you clean it? We've had ours for a few months and overall love it (none of the issues Glenn reports, but ours takes a different kind of filter). But I find the carafe very hard to clean. First of all, if I leave coffee in it for half the day (which is the point of a thermal carafe, isn't it?), it gets stained and smells like stale coffee no matter how I clean it. But perhaps more annoying, it's impossible to pour out the last little bit of liquid. The lip of the plastic part catches the water so even if the carafe is totally upside down, not all the water comes out. so after I wash it, there's always a little puddle of water sitting in the bottom. Gross.

Is there some trick I'm missing?

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#57 Post by Chris Foley » March 24th, 2016, 7:25 am

SeanHarding wrote:For those of you with a Bonavita with the thermal carafe, how do you clean it? We've had ours for a few months and overall love it (none of the issues Glenn reports, but ours takes a different kind of filter). But I find the carafe very hard to clean. First of all, if I leave coffee in it for half the day (which is the point of a thermal carafe, isn't it?), it gets stained and smells like stale coffee no matter how I clean it. But perhaps more annoying, it's impossible to pour out the last little bit of liquid. The lip of the plastic part catches the water so even if the carafe is totally upside down, not all the water comes out. so after I wash it, there's always a little puddle of water sitting in the bottom. Gross.

I just rub my fingers around inside on the glass near the top while rinsing it with hot water.
Any residue seems to wipe off the glass easily, so a paper tower rubbed around the inside after a rinse should take care of the stains and get rid of the final teaspoonful that never pours out.
Chris F.

Stan Y.

#58 Post by Stan Y. » March 24th, 2016, 9:22 am

Sean I agree with you. I'd mentioned cleaning and thermal carafes earlier. Glass gets nicely clean on its own in the dishwasher.
S. Y @ t € s

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by alan weinberg » March 24th, 2016, 9:28 am

SeanHarding wrote:For those of you with a Bonavita with the thermal carafe, how do you clean it? We've had ours for a few months and overall love it (none of the issues Glenn reports, but ours takes a different kind of filter). But I find the carafe very hard to clean. First of all, if I leave coffee in it for half the day (which is the point of a thermal carafe, isn't it?), it gets stained and smells like stale coffee no matter how I clean it. But perhaps more annoying, it's impossible to pour out the last little bit of liquid. The lip of the plastic part catches the water so even if the carafe is totally upside down, not all the water comes out. so after I wash it, there's always a little puddle of water sitting in the bottom. Gross.

JoeGlo to clean carafe

#60 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 24th, 2016, 9:50 am

denture cleaners are what I use on my wine carafes and on my coffee carafes. (I use Rite Aid generic ones.)

One think I haven't liked about the technivorm thermal container is that its lip has "papercut" me and my wife, and .....since I drain it upside down in a dish rack to dry it....the lip actually separated from the rest of the carafe. Technivorm denied a problem with the sharp edges (maybe it was a limited batch of them; I don't know) and seemed totally uninterested in the "separation" issue from draining upside down...telling me I could buy a new one for like $80. I glued it back on instead..and it has held, though I've reglued it, too , after the first time.

That's my complaint about Technivorm customer service.....indifference and denial.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 4th, 2016, 7:06 am

Woke up this AM to the death of my Bonavita, less than 2 years for this poorly engineered nightmare to go from packing box to garbage heap. Red light goes on but heating element not working and no water proceeds thru machine.

What a complete POS.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Kyle Schlachter

#62 Post by Kyle Schlachter » April 4th, 2016, 9:15 am

I believe Bonavita offers a two-year warranty. You can fill out the form they will need to assist you here: http://bonavitaworld.com/support They were helpful with my warranty issue!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

#63 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » April 4th, 2016, 10:09 am

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]

the whole world is watching.....this one....

Let us know what happens, Glenn....

Scott Butler

#64 Post by Scott Butler » April 4th, 2016, 10:11 am

Jay Winton wrote:love our percolator. Laugh away but it makes great coffee and all our guests even those who have expensive machines tell us so.
No laughing, percolators make great coffee! The only negative is the wait.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Michael Klein

#65 Post by Michael Klein » April 4th, 2016, 11:34 am

Glenn, Idk why i keep coming to bat for boniavita, but def get in touch and get a new machine. You got a serious lemon.

I know countless coffee nerds that have this machine and have zero issues. So strange to hear your problems!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 4th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Kyle Schlachter wrote:I believe Bonavita offers a two-year warranty. You can fill out the form they will need to assist you here: http://bonavitaworld.com/support They were helpful with my warranty issue!
Going this route, thank you.

This product is less than a year away and I am in: http://www.simplipresscoffee.com/
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Brian Curtis

#67 Post by Brian Curtis » April 4th, 2016, 1:55 pm

An easy way to clean coffee stains in a carafe is to put some dishwasher detergent in with hot water and let it soak for a while.

Our Technovoem thermal carafes have not lasted long. They lose their vacuum and no longer keep coffee hot. I bought a replacement and when that failed I finally realized I should contact customer service. They were great and sent me a replacement.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by SeanHarding » April 4th, 2016, 5:56 pm

alan weinberg wrote: JoeGlo to clean carafe
Thanks for this recommendation. I bought some JoeGlo and it worked wonders.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 5th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Bonavita is replacing our brewer and asking us to continue using our existing carafe, lid & filter basket. Their diagnosis was poor and too infrequent descaling on our part.

They suggest using Full Circle or Dezcal in the future to descale.

GMcCarthy

#70 Post by GMcCarthy » April 6th, 2016, 8:53 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Bonavita is replacing our brewer and asking us to continue using our existing carafe, lid & filter basket. Their diagnosis was poor and too infrequent descaling on our part.

Glenn - If you can find it, buy food grade citric acid for about $3lb. I use about 1T/quart on my technivorm to descale. Citric acid is the main ingredient in Dezcal and most of the other descalers on the market so there is not much value add buying these products.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

Kyle Schlachter

#71 Post by Kyle Schlachter » April 6th, 2016, 10:10 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Bonavita is replacing our brewer and asking us to continue using our existing carafe, lid & filter basket. Their diagnosis was poor and too infrequent descaling on our part.

They said the same thing to me, but they still sent a new in the box brewer with carafe and basket.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Chris S p i k e s

#72 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 6th, 2016, 11:05 am

GMcCarthy wrote:

Glenn - If you can find it, buy food grade citric acid for about $3lb. I use about 1T/quart on my technivorm to descale. Citric acid is the main ingredient in Dezcal and most of the other descalers on the market so there is not much value add buying these products.
You can buy a big bag on Amazon. We did a few years ago and still have 75% left.

Glenn - How old is your machine again? Outright failure due to lack of descaling would have to be extreme for me to buy that excuse vs. a poorly engineered product. If it's that delicate, they need to stop advertising as a high end coffee maker. After saying I would be willing to consider switching if the time ever came, my 7 year old Technivorm is starting to look even better in my eyes. I descale it about 3 times a year.

M. Sai

#73 Post by M. Sai » April 6th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Sorry to hear that Glenn. I just looked, we've had our Bonavita for four years and a month - not a single issue yet (knock on wood), and never had to descale. I always use filtered water which might help that...
Cheers!
Mike

Formerly ITB

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 6th, 2016, 2:33 pm

We always use filtered water too and our machine would have been 2 years old this Thanksgiving.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 6th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Zero water seems to provide the best filtering. My Behmor got clogged due to the high mineral content in our water. It turns out Brita doesn't filter out minerals too well.

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Gary Schulte » April 7th, 2016, 5:46 pm

All this talk about descaling made my OXO show a warning idiot light this morning. Turns out the Oxo shows the descaling reminder after 90 brew cycles. Will do this weekend to keep the unit in tip top performance.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 8th, 2016, 10:47 am

Our package arrived from Bonativa, a new carafe and plastic lid...
image.jpeg

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 14th, 2016, 8:47 pm

New brewer arrived and is prepped and ready for the AM...

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » April 15th, 2016, 8:09 am

Cup #1 AOK, but losing heat rapidly!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 4th, 2016, 7:24 am

Interestingly this new Bonavita machine has more clearance between the showerhead and carafe-lid. Looking at our old brewer the showerhead definitely hung lower, towards the carafe. Currently it would take a real effort now to get the showerhead to curl back the #4 paperfilter creating the coffee-coffee everywhere tragedy.

Since dishwashing the parts the coffee again seems hotter longer.
Last edited by Glenn L e v i n e on July 15th, 2016, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 15th, 2016, 11:53 am

I'm a zombie until I have my first cup of coffee and love the timer feature on my Mr. Coffee.

I'm ready to graduate to a better brewer, but do any of the recommended ones have an autostart or time feature? Anyone try the relatively new Bonavista 1900TD with auto timer?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by alan weinberg » July 15th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Technivorm Moccamaster is so damn fast I don't mind lack of a timer. Wonderful coffeemaker.

M Hudson

#83 Post by M Hudson » July 16th, 2016, 5:38 am

I am with Alan and grinding your beans just before you brew is the way to go anyway.

I have the same unit Alan has and wouldn't trade for anything
M@rk
Actions Matter

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by alan weinberg » July 16th, 2016, 4:19 pm

and get the thermal carafe, not the glass one.
Last edited by alan weinberg on July 16th, 2016, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#85 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 16th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Yup - Technivorm is gold standard for drip coffee, as far as I'm concerned. And I would never pre-grind beans. The farthest I'll go is loading the beans into the Mazzer Mini and water into the Technivorm the night before, then grinding and brewing in the AM. It doesn't take long, and the difference between pre-ground and just ground beans is significant.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by alan weinberg » July 16th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:The farthest I'll go is loading the beans into the Mazzer Mini.
damn, that's a Ferrari of a grinder--$1100. Wow. Was it worth the extra money? I will start a new thread.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#87 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 17th, 2016, 7:08 am

Alan - the really high-end grinder is necessary for top notch espresso, which we also strive for, more than for drip coffee. That said, I can absolutely tell the difference between the grind using the Mazzer and the grind produced by my old Capresso burr grinder, and firmly believe the grinder is your most important piece of equipment. "Worth it" is always a personal concept - for us, the answer is yes. Of course, my husband bought it before we got married, so I wasn't involved in the decision. I doubt I would have objected - he makes the espresso, so he's in charge of what we need.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Ethan Abraham » July 17th, 2016, 1:55 pm

About to pull the trigger on a new coffemaker, probably the Moccamaster - is there any difference between the CDGT and the KBGT besides the appearance?

Also, has anyone tried the ratio eight yet? Bit of a step up in price from the moccamaster but damn does it look nice...

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Michael O'Brien » July 17th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Add us to the Technivorm Moccamaster owners It is the best coffee maker we have ever owned. And here is why - delivers the water at the perfect temperature to the coffee grounds which is what has to happen to make a great cup of coffee. It isn't about bells and whistles. It is about performance. http://www.cnet.com/products/technivorm ... r-kbt-741/

Here is their current product page if that helps. Would be nice if they had a compare function. Our is several years old so it no longer appears on their current product page. http://www.technivorm.com/products/brew ... _home-use/
PlanoWino

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 17th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Thanks!

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 17th, 2016, 8:56 pm

NY Times days beans should come from the freezer right before grinding , True?

Al Osterheld

#92 Post by Al Osterheld » July 17th, 2016, 9:14 pm

No, don't freeze coffee beans. It only helps if you're storing beans much longer than you should store them. I should note that this is a source of rather vigorous arguments, but if you are using freshly roasted beans stored in an airtight container in a cool place, there is no reason to freeze.

-Al

Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Steve Saxon » July 17th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Just bought this, my second. Had my first one for years now without a problem and it makes great coffee. One machine for Gig Harbor and the other one is going to Telluride.
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Ethan Abraham » July 18th, 2016, 12:49 pm

How does the technivorm handle less than a full load? It seems there's no real setting except manually adjusted the drip speed, which seems a bit...um...inexact.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#95 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 19th, 2016, 4:48 am

Not sure I understand the question, Ethan. I almost never make a full pot on the Technivorm, and have never thought of adjusting anything. The only thing I do manually (and my only real issue with the Technivorm, other than the design of the lip/spout on the carafe) is to let the blend bloom for about 45 sec, stirring once, in the filter before opening it up for drip down.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Ethan Abraham » July 19th, 2016, 5:21 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Not sure I understand the question, Ethan. I almost never make a full pot on the Technivorm, and have never thought of adjusting anything. The only thing I do manually (and my only real issue with the Technivorm, other than the design of the lip/spout on the carafe) is to let the blend bloom for about 45 sec, stirring once, in the filter before opening it up for drip down.
Ah ok, the instruction manual I found online has something about a "half-open" setting for less than a full pot. I guess the alternative is how you do it, keep is closed for a bit then fully open.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#97 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 19th, 2016, 5:36 am

Oh ok now I understand. The "half-open" setting is just a reference to the control on the bottom of the chamber that holds the filter, grounds, blend. I keep it closed to bloom the blend, then open it to the full setting since I'm usually making a liter. It only controls how fast the coffee goes into the carafe.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by alan weinberg » July 19th, 2016, 7:45 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:NY Times days beans should come from the freezer right before grinding , True?
I have read that the hardness of frozen beans can damage the burr of a grinder.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 25th, 2016, 8:19 am

Picked up the Oxo On 9-cup coffeemaker last week. It has the same SCAA certification as the technivorm and the bonavita so in theory brews to the same temp, etc. It's about $200, so a bit less than the technivorm. So far very happy with it, the coffee is light years beyond what we were drinking previously...we use less grounds but get a more flavorful cup without it being overly rich. There are no manual adjustments necessary to make less than a full carafe, just a button. Coffee stays warm for quite a while. Carafe pours easily with no dripping. In theory it also allows you to set it in advance to make coffee in the morning. Only downside in design are 1)it's big (but probably the same as the technivorm or bonavita) and 2)you need to remember to leave the water tank open after use to avoid mildew from the condensation.

Colby Scott

#100 Post by Colby Scott » October 25th, 2016, 6:24 pm

If you're an espresso fan have a look at the Nespresso machines. Small, inexpensive, and they make true espresso shots (19psi) with tons of crema. Sold my Rancilio setup that cost 20x as much.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”