Mail Order Stone Crab Claws?

Opinions on the “best” source? I feel like there is a tax with Joe’s, but I could be wrong.
Thanks.

MK

Our local wholefoods has them for $24 a pound.

I used to order from Islamorada Fish Company, which did an excellent job. Looks like they are principally the fish restaurant at Bass Pro Shops now - I don’t know if they are still retailing out of the Keys

Last times we were in the keys, we got a stone crab carryout order from Islamorada FC. Tasty!

Didn’t I give you a site last year ?

Hope my invite wasnt lost in the mail.

Are most claws sold cooked?

All are sold cooked. Otherwise they spoil out.

Properly done, they are cooked on the boat !

Whatever you do, don’t buy frozen. I’ve purchased frozen claws twice; both times, they royally sucked. One package was very rubbery and the other was falling-apart mealy. I got the second from Browne Trading Company – supposedly the source for much of the seafood at Le Bernardin and Per Se – and paid a premium. Terrible.

In both cases I thawed very slowly in the fridge. I’m confident that there was no user error.

Interesting Jay. I bought a whole turbot, which was KILLER, from Browne Trading and also got the frozen langoustines. They were horrendous.

I will get Marx next time we have a crew. It’s just me and wifey tonight, so i paid the Joe’s tax.

From now on when it comes to Browne, I’m sticking with the fresh seafood and the smoked options – and the wine (they have the best selection in Portland).

I had some yesterday from a reputable source and they were a bit disappointing. I’ve never been super impressed and lean toward king crab.

Dungeness crab is the way to go!

Yup I love dungeness, but we never get it here.

I love crab and had never been impressed with Dungeness until I visited Swan’s in SF. I dropped about a hundo in there one day by myself. The stuff was just so good that I’d finish it and keep asking for more. But I do like King for the ease of procurement/preparation and good uniformity.

Dungeness is great but too much work. I never eat king unless its fresh.

Stone is my choice.

Spoken like a born-and-raised Californian. Unfortunately, not true. Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab is objectively better in the flavor department. Even San Francisco chefs like Michael Mina agree:

Dungeness crab is easier to eat than Blue, but if your priority is the experience of cracking big legs and dipping hunks of meat in butter, you’re still settling for second best. Red Alaskan King is both better tasting and easier to eat.

The only people who should be eating Dungeness are people who live where it can be caught locally. When I lived in SF for 7 years, I ate lots of it.

Lived in MD and have been in CA for a long time. Blue crab wins. It is a PITA but tastes better. I get The Crab Place bushel shipments for parties via fedex and they are amazing.

http://www.crabplace.com