Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in San Francisco

#201 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2019, 9:49 am

ERPark wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Finally made it to The Morris a couple nights ago, to catch up with a good friend that I hadn’t seen in awhile. I’d last stepped foot in the establishment years ago, when it’d been a resto called the Slow Club for over 2 decades. While the Potrero Flats area outside had changed substantially since I’d first started going to Slow Club back in the mid 90s, stepping inside The Morris brought back vivid memories with its dark, loud, bustling and undeniably sexy environment that wasn’t much different than what made Slow Club such an appealing destination.

My buddy and I caught up while sharing the pork rilletes, pate de compagne and a couple skewers of duck hearts to start. Entree was splitting the whole duck platter. Ordered a 2010 Domaine des Lambrays Les Loups Morey-St-Denis off their list, which wasn’t priced unreasonably (though I would’ve loved the mag of 2014 Gonon St Joseph @ $195, but they were unfortunately sold out).

There was a twofold mission in going here, as I’d also been communicating with the co-owner/somm about an unopened bottle of vintage Green Chartreuse from the early 1980s that I had. Notice I said “had”, as that bottle now resides in his extensive collection of Chartreuse. Some vintage bourbon was then consumed by my old friend, my new friend who loves Chartreuse, our server and myself afterwards. Definitely a memorable experience of a meal and post-meal, especially while bumping into an acquaintance of Chuckles Fu that I’d met a couple weeks ago at another random event. And I forgot to mention we had decided to dine there on what was The Morris’ third anniversary, which certainly made the Chartreuse transaction even more memorable for the recipient.

I’ll be back soon, no doubt with some more vintage bourbon to be poured......

C363A376-6C2E-40B0-BB70-6F95A6C45F5C.jpeg
Thanks for the write up. I have been a few times for drinks and snacks but never an entire meal, I need to get back.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 22nd, 2019, 6:05 am

State Bird Sunday with other rural OR surgeons. After a longish day of meetings and responsibilities it should be a welcome respite.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by Robert Dentice » October 22nd, 2019, 8:19 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 6:05 am
State Bird Sunday with other rural OR surgeons. After a longish day of meetings and responsibilities it should be a welcome respite.
If you have time go 15 minutes early and try the Prog Dog at the bar at The Progress.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 22nd, 2019, 11:46 am

Will do sir, thank you. It’s a hot dog?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by Robert Dentice » October 22nd, 2019, 12:26 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 11:46 am
Will do sir, thank you. It’s a hot dog?
The best Hot Dog I have ever had!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 22nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

Ok then!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 28th, 2019, 10:50 am

If your ears were burning we dropped your name last night to get a Prog Dog, which we all really enjoyed. Also got us the reserve wine selections! It was a glorious night out capped off by a 375 ml Maculan Passito sweet wine that was stunning.

So many great dishes but anchovy toast could happily be my death bed meal.
7902E4AD-25D1-4179-8E94-0F3C2805CC10.jpeg
D4BE9160-7A70-4A23-B168-9C2A0D3C5DB2.jpeg
4EEE51BC-5705-4C56-AE32-79B9039272E6.jpeg

James Sanders

#208 Post by James Sanders » October 28th, 2019, 12:50 pm

We tried The Progress a few weeks ago. Before that, I'd been under the illusion that Seattle had closed the gap with SF on the dining scene. Stuart and Nicole (and their team) are playing in different league.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 28th, 2019, 1:38 pm

No doubt that’s true.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Robert Dentice » October 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Glenn - So happy you enjoyed it. It amazes me how every time I eat at State Bird is makes me so happy beyond just enjoying the great food I mean soulfully happy. Chefs Stuart and Nicole are special people.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 28th, 2019, 2:31 pm

It’s such an easy, and unpretentious place. With staggeringly great fare, and an amazing white wine list.

I don’t know the players there but staff could not have been nicer. Epic meal there last night, my first since 2016 and third overall.

G. Greenbaum

#212 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 28th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I'll be at State Bird in a few weeks. What dishes do you recommend and how many dishes per person?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Robert Dentice » October 29th, 2019, 6:53 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 5:32 pm
I'll be at State Bird in a few weeks. What dishes do you recommend and how many dishes per person?
Everything is good. Some veteran tips take your time when the carts come rolling out fast and furious. It is ok to pass on some because they will be back around. Some of the dishes on the menu can be ordered in 1/2 sizes. So if you are dining with 2 or a small group you could for example order a 1/2 portion of the State Bird (i.e., Quail) which will allow you to try more dishes. Ask about the off menu Fish Collar and Belly dishes! Do not miss the dumpling which will be on the carts. There is a reserve wine list at State Bird.

And as you saw above the ultimate tip is to order the Prog Dog at The Progress before or after your meal.

Hope this helps!

G. Greenbaum

#214 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 29th, 2019, 7:34 am

Thanks Robert, very helpful. I've dined at The Progress (good tip on the Prog dog). So SB is part menu and part cart service (dim sum style)?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Robert Dentice » October 29th, 2019, 7:35 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 7:34 am
Thanks Robert, very helpful. I've dined at The Progress (good tip on the Prog dog). So SB is part menu and part cart service (dim sum style)?
Yes exactly.

Andrew Dodd

#216 Post by Andrew Dodd » October 29th, 2019, 7:38 am

Went a year ago and Spruce was my dinner of the trip

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by todd waldmann » October 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm

We had great meals at both Rich Table and State Bird this past weekend. Not the first visit for either one. We will return to both. I love the vibe in addition to the food at both places. And I could easily enjoy State Bird once a week and not get tired of it.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by RyanC » December 8th, 2019, 7:41 am

Benu on Friday was transcendent. Probably a top-3 meal I've had in the US and as good as the best Saison meal I've had.
C@ughey

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 8th, 2019, 9:35 am

todd waldmann wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm
And I could easily enjoy State Bird once a week and not get tired of it.
My idea of hospice is a bong & a bag in a crib that’s walking distance from State Bird.

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by todd waldmann » December 8th, 2019, 11:34 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 9:35 am
todd waldmann wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm
And I could easily enjoy State Bird once a week and not get tired of it.
My idea of hospice is a bong & a bag in a crib that’s walking distance from State Bird.
That sounds pretty good. I'd want access to my cellar too, though. champagne.gif
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

dteng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by dteng » December 23rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

RyanC wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 7:41 am
Benu on Friday was transcendent. Probably a top-3 meal I've had in the US and as good as the best Saison meal I've had.
Was treated to dinner there this past Friday - I echo your impressions. Mind blown.
Dan

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Robert Dentice » January 17th, 2020, 10:52 am

Back from a few days in San Francisco. I ate at State Bird and wow they are just firing on all cylinders and one of the best out of over 100 meals there. State Bird was closed for Tuesday and Wednesday for private parties so I had to try something new.

I tried Mourad which was just ok. To be fair to them I went with one other person in a business context and we were both in a hurry so only tried a few appetizers and one main. We did not do the larger entrees which are meant for sharing and I suspect the best things on the menu.

And then The Progress which similar to State Bird was just on fire and one of my best meals there.

I hear State Bird is soon to open a Sardine Bar around the corner...stay tuned!

Zachary Ross

#223 Post by Zachary Ross » January 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am

I just was in SF as well and went to Mourad: flippin' fantastic, I thought. We shared the beef short rib dish, which was truly outstanding. We were all stunned at how good it was. Also the eggplant and burrata apps: dope.
Iroulégeek.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Robert Dentice » January 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am

Zachary Ross wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 9:58 am
I just was in SF as well and went to Mourad: flippin' fantastic, I thought. We shared the beef short rib dish, which was truly outstanding. We were all stunned at how good it was. Also the eggplant and burrata apps: dope.
Thanks for the alternative view I had a feeling it would be better with a larger group. Also State Bird for me is baseline in SF and that is a tough comp.

Zachary Ross

#225 Post by Zachary Ross » January 23rd, 2020, 11:02 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am
Zachary Ross wrote:
Thanks for the alternative view I had a feeling it would be better with a larger group. Also State Bird for me is baseline in SF and that is a tough comp.

I wanted to go to State Bird Provisions but it was all booked up. I had some fine dim sum at Palette Tea House. Also dined at Zuni Cafe, which is still great after all these years.
Iroulégeek.

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by todd waldmann » January 24th, 2020, 6:54 am

Zachary Ross wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 11:02 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am
Zachary Ross wrote:

I wanted to go to State Bird Provisions but it was all booked up. I had some fine dim sum at Palette Tea House. Also dined at Zuni Cafe, which is still great after all these years.
I thought the dim sum at Palette Tea House was quite good, but paled in comparison to Hong Kong Lounge II (RIP). [cry.gif]

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by Betty C » January 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm

todd waldmann wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:54 am

I thought the dim sum at Palette Tea House was quite good, but paled in comparison to Hong Kong Lounge II (RIP). [cry.gif]
It's not every day you can say your favorite dim sum place literally blew up.
Ch00

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”