Chef's Table - Part 2

Looks like Netflix subscribers will get to view the second season of Chef’s Table.

Excellent. Thanks for posting Nancy. I loved the first season.

First episode was excellent.

Yes, I’ve been waiting for this since I heard about it back in March. One of the best food documentaries I’ve seen. (From the other thread about food/movies/TV…here’s the line-up for the current Season 2; then Seasons 3 and 4:

Chef’s Table, Season 2 – May 27
Alex Atala, Dom, (Brazil)
Ana Ros, Hiša Franko (Slovenia)
Dominique Crenn, Atelier Crenn (United States)
Enrique Olvera, Pujol (Mexico)
Gagan Anand, Gaggan (Thailand)
Grant Achatz, Alinea, Next, The Aviary (United States)

Chef’s Table, Season 3 – French Installment, TBD 2016
Alain Passard, L’Arpege (France)
Michel Troisgros, Maison Troisgros (France)
Adeline Grattard, Yam’Tcha (France)
Alexandre Couillon, La Marine (France)

Chef’s Table, Season 4 – TBD 2017
Ivan Orkin, Ivan Ramen (United States, Japan)
Jeong Kwan, Chunjinam Hermitage, Baekyangsa Temple (South Korea)
Nancy Silverton, Mozza (United States)
Tim Raue, Restaurant Tim Raue (Germany)
Virgilio Martinez, Central (Peru)
Vladimir Mukhin, White Rabbit (Russia)

Thanks - I watched the Alinea episode.

So far, I’ve watched four of them and the Alinea one was great along with the one on Crenn and Olvera. I’m not finding them to be as captivating as the first season but some of that maybe due to just being tired in the evening after working the day.

The Alex Atala episode captivating. I love how they didn’t really get into the restaurant until 3/4 through the episode.

Top three episodes:

1. Grant Achatz, Alinea
  2. Gagan Anand, Gaggan
  3. Enrique Olvera, Pujol

The adversity all three had to go through to be the best. Trying to do something that could or should not be done. Grant Achatz threatened by Charlie Trotter if he left the restaurant. His thinking was too out of the box for Thomas Keller and the French Laundry. And then cancer. Gagan and Enrique both told they would never succeed by the best chefs. All three created a style that has never been done before.

I have to go back and watch that one again, admittedly I dozed off while watching it.

I’ve watched 5 of the 6 episodes and I’m a bit hesitant to name my favorites, but this is just pure and wonderful eye candy. I know other seasons are in the works, but releasing six at a time is simply not enough. All of their creativity is truly inspiring.

I loved the scene when Enrique describes terroir as “union between the land and the people.” Not quite what I think of when we talk about terroir in wine, but still incredibly poetic in how he appreciates the environment and fun to think of it in terms of food.

Speaking of Trotter, you might enjoy watching the documentary film (available on Netflix) “For Grace” on another chef/owner that worked under Trotter.

I’ve watched the first three episodes and loved them all. The Achatz one I loved even though it covered a lot of stuff I was already aware of just by reading about him (the cancer, his thoughts on Trotter vs Keller). But again, all three were great, and it was cool to see the different philosophies of each of the chefs.

Mike, Curtis Duffy’s story is pretty compelling isn’t it? The Chicago Tribune did a great article on him a couple years ago as well.

Jason, thanks for the article. What a story!?! I wish this guy nothing but the best and hope I get a chance to eat at one of his restaurants one day.

I haven’t been as thrilled with this season, but I did love the Gaggan episode. Had me looking for flights to BKK.

I just watched this tonight. What a great documentary. The food looks brilliant. And as for the part where Trotter bounces Duffy from his restaurant… Completely classless.

Seems like the 3rd season of Chef’s Table was just released on Netflix. I saw the episode on Nancy Silverton – really great. Especially recommended for anyone with a connection to LA, there was some great stuff on the recent history of fine dining here, from Michael’s to Campanile to La Brea and the Mozzaplex. I think they did a great job portraying Nancy Silverton’s personality, seems very unique, esp her interactions with her staff (really funny seeing her tasting ice cream/gelato with Dahlia Narvaez, the pastry chef at Osteria Mozza, and cooking at home with Liz Hong, the chef there, whose mom apparently owns Parks BBQ in ktown), and how perfectionistic she is with adjusting recipes until she gets the result she wants. I also appreciated how modest she was, describing herself as someone who perfected ideas she saw in others’ cooking, and who recognized what she likes and what she can do, and what her staff does.

Hilarious scene where they show her purchasing produce from the back of a supplier’s truck – at some point, someone off camera quips something like, is there better stuff that you guys are saving for Bestia? Funny hint at the competitive dynamics between great restaurants here.

Thanks for the heads up on Season 3. Can’t wait to binge tomorrow.

I’ve watched the first two episodes of season three. Both were fascinating and eye opening.

I’ve enjoyed eating his ramen, and his book taught me a great deal about making ramen, BUT Ivan Orkin comes off a bit douchey in his episode.
He’s had a rough ride, for sure, and his is a rather fascinating story, nonetheless.
Well done, like most of the Chefs Tabke series.