Canelés

consider me obsessed. I make my own. Copper molds, beeswax, the real deal. I try them everywhere I find the little Doric columns of crispy custardy goodness–the pastry equivalent of crème brûlée.

Just found the best ones–courtesy of my Dallas son–at Village Baking Co on University in Dallas. The traditional one and a real good chocolate one. Perfect.

best web recipe: http://chezpim.com/bake/canele-recipe-method

I love them, but only eat them in France. If they were available to me year round, I’d be much much fatter than I already am.

Haven’t you heard? Canales are just a fad.

I thought I was leading the pack!

We are lucky here in Chapel Hill, NC. A local baker (Loaf, in Durham), does a great version using the copper molds and beeswax. So at least 2x per week I can indulge my fix

I’ve had good luck with this recipe: http://www.oregonlive.com/mix/index.ssf/people-events-stuff/who_makes_the_best_canele_in_portland.html I use Smith and Cross for the dark rum.

Yes, I know I’ve read that somewhere [snort.gif]

I was excited when my local patisserie which makes great croissants and pain au chocolat started selling caneles but they use silicon molds and the outer crust just isn’t right.

aren’t silicone molds just the biggest tease? They seem like such a good idea, but unless you like your baked goods with yoga mat texture, they just don’t perform.

Oh god, the caneles fad again. Who knows what classic French pastry will be the victim of the vicissitudes of American eating fashions in 2017?

Ain’t it the truth.

I am lucky, a local place brings them in France. They are delicious and one of the most wine-friendly deserts I’ve encountered.

Walked by there the last few days…knew I should have stopped in!

great w coffee, too.

Their stuff is fantastic. Easily the best baguettes in town, and their cookies are fantastic. Oh, and on the Caneles they tried Silicon molds and had to ditch them for the real thing.

Be sure to re-vote afterwards, on the Average Berserker thread.

Perhaps the single most perfect pastry accompaniment to a cup of coffee.

I just made this–we will see in a couple days, as batter is resting. Thanks. Subtle differences, little less flour, more sugar, less rum, less vanilla, less egg in the Portland recipe.

cheers! so much depends on your oven, the humidity in your oven on that day, etc. I really think you have to be committed to tweaking these a while before getting them the way you like them. Even then, burned to one person is perfect for another.

agree. Playing now with convection and regular oven and different time/temps. Didn’t like the Portland recipe. Too sweet and only made 10, not the promised 20!

clearly you were cheated