Maui reqs?

Friend going to Maui

Any suggestions?

for eating?

star noodle
frida’s mexican
honu
mala ocean tavern

all of these are up near lahaina. the last three are owned by the same folks. I like them pretty much in that order I think

I had a shockingly good meal at Hula Grill near kaanapali beach. Shockingly good in the sense that it looked like a tourist trap. But the fish and salads were top notch. and one of the best mai tai’s we had the whole trip.

i don’t think any of these are worth driving to from the wailea area though if your friends are staying there.

Scott

I don’t think I was overly impressed by anything we ate in Maui (we stayed at the Andaz in Wailea so mostly “nicer” dining options). Kinda wished we went up to lahaina and tried some more casual joints. Food at Andaz is pretty good tho. Ate breakfast everyday and dinner once. Would recommend.

one thing I will recommend is Wow Wow lemonade. That’s some tasty ass juice. We ended up getting it multiple times. Only a few miles north of Wailea

It’s kitchy, but dinner at Mama’s Fish House at sunset is a nice treat. It’s expensive. http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
Make your reservations far in advance.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks folks!

The merrimen is nice. For a nicer meal.

If Merriman’s Maui is anything like the Big Island Merriman’s, than a big +1

Also, Sarento’s On the Beach. (Just try to empty your water glass!)

Not so bad for lunch either, especially if you’re not staying nearby.

It’s been several years but we liked Merriman’s very much. Good wine selection too.

What part of the island? We stay in Wailea and the food choices are limited, as noted by Charlie. We like Monkeypod Kitchen (by Merriman), Ka 'Ana Kitchen in the Andaz, Spago Maui, Cafe O’Lei and Sansei (for the local caught fish) in Kihei. That’s pretty much it. Not a dining destination. Can’t wait to return later in the year.

In April we liked -
Mala
Honu
Monkeypod (kinda loud though)
Lahaina Grill (love this place)

And the restaurant downstairs at Westin Villas.

Interesting this came up. We are at our place in Maui right now. We stay mostly around Lahaina/Kapalua.

Food in Maui is OK. A lot of places with a good view and decent seafood.

We like Paia Fish Market a lot. Mama’s is nice but quite pricey. Fun town to walk around.

Merriman’s In Kapalua is good for something special but again very pricey. Great views.

Honu and Mala have decent food and good views.

Aloha Mixed Plate next door is good. Can be a wait.

There is a local mixed plate and seafood place up near Napili that is good. Can’t remember the name.

Star Noodle is good but can get busy for a table.

Get breakfast at the Gazebo in Napili. Get there early before 7:30 as the line get long.

The Seahouse is fair but is good for pupus and great view.

Sansei is pretty good for sushi. Early dinner at 5:30 is the way to go to get 50% off rolls. Get a reservation.

Poke at Farmland is my favorite in in west Maui.

Eskimo Candy in Kihei has some good seafood.

Tamara’s has a decent wine selection for bottles.

Lahaina has a lot of places. Lahaina Grill and Pacific O are the nicest. Others are OK but have some good views.

Best Luau is Old Lahaina.

A lot of nice restaurants down in Wailea. Have not been to many in a while.

Awesome, thanks!

The folks are on their way back…they had a great trip if the pics are any indication. They went to mama’s and loved it, but their favorite meal was Hali'imaile General Store

So thanks again!

Bumpity bump…. Are these reqs still good?

Very enjoyable place, nice grounds, too.

We just returned from Maui.

Best advice is to make restaurant reservations well in advance. Example- we called in April for Mama’s. Dinner was already booked through the end of August at that time. We snagged a lunch reservation. Since the menu is the same and the views are arguably better during the day, we were quite satisfied. Great food! Expensive!!! (But worth it in our opinion.)

Star Noodle was another favorite.

One more caveat- rental cars are scarce and rates are through the roof. $1200 for six days for a Kia Soul through Budget!

Plan ahead if going…

I like to keep it simple and go for the good plate lunch joints. Kalua pig, sticky rice, mac salad, little poi and a cold beer or just water.
Uptown Chevron, Plate lunch from Waikapu on 30, a few scoops of various poke from Kaohu Store (any given day they have several to choose from), secret banana bread stands in the middle of nowhere.
There are great upper end $$$ places are good but usually save that for other destinations and yeah Mama’s is great. It’s touristy but delivers every time.

Paia Fish Market is a good no-fuss alternative to Mama’s. Komoda Bakery in Makawao is worth a trip if you like malasadas, donuts, cream puffs, etc.

Second the recommendation for poke and other assorted nibbles at the Kuau Store.

Was there in April…Hali’imaile General Store was are favorite. Lunch and dinner! Do the Maui Gold pineapple tour right across the street…FUN!