Uuni2 - new pizza oven in town!

I bought this pizza oven a few weeks ago and last week-end I made my first pizza with it. I strongly recommend Uuni2.
Yesterday I found this article at LATimes.

ENJOY
Martin

That looks really cool

I got my Uuni 2 back in May.
I love it.
I’ll post some pics here when I get a chance.
Makes a terrific pie, in under 2 mins usually.
Enjoy, Martin.

I could not resist I bought one. I already use pellets for smoking so it was an easy choice for me. I tried my egg and while it was ok, I didn’t like trying to cook st those temps on the egg. Made handling it and not,schorchingmthe gasket difficult st best and it burned a ton of charcoal to get it up to that temp and preheat the stone.

Dude - get busy with those photos!

You asked for it. Some pics from recent pizza nights with friends. Took me several runs to get the oven dialed in, but I can bang out some decent pies now:

Green chili sausage, sun dried tomatoes, roasted reds, ricotta.

New Haven-style white clam pie. So good.

Buffalo chicken.-didn’t rotate this one quick enough, got a little too dark there.

Spinach, sausage, ricotta.

Outstanding! What is the fuel source you’re using?

Thanks!
It runs on wood pellets that Mark referred to above.
used by competition bbq guys.
Bought 50 pounds for like $5 at the local tractor supply store and have only used about 10 pounds over the course of probably 5-6 nights of pizza cooking.
http://www.ruralking.com/hardwood-wood-pellet-fuel-40lb.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=(roi)+agriculture±+shopping&utm_content=agriculture+shopping

Here in Europe a big package of pellets was included with the Uuni2 when I ordered it and was delivered from Great Britain.

It’s wild to think that pellets give you that kind of flame. I’ve never used a pellet grill, are these self starting? Electric starter, what? Also, do you have this setting on a table? It seems low. I’m intrigued at an oven at this price though.

Here is a video starting with Uuni2 and more videos on youtube.

Here an aditional video with time:

Yes. On a square card table on my patio. The oven is relatively small and light.
Meant to be portable.
Start the pellets with a little bit of lighter fluid and a match.
I will say…Their PR videos make it seem much easier than it really is (imo) to get the fire roaring and to maintain a good flame to make 5-6 pizzas.
I start my fire 15 mins before I plan to drop the first pie and my teenage son tends to the fire while I’m inside stretching dough and making the pies.
It’s not a one man job, unless you are literally making yourself one pizza and your kitchen and ingredients are really close to the oven.

I think it was favorably reviewed in the WSJ recently. At $300 looks like a good deal.

Just as a FYI the pellets Dennis listed are nor rated as food safe. There are food safe pellets and heating pellets. Food safe pellets are more like 1$ lb

Use what you see fit just wanted to share that in case you were not aware.

Nice oven; I like the portability aspect of it.

Ordered. Dennis - any tips and dough recommendations.

Kirby-I’ve fooled with many doughs over the years, having settled on using Kenji’s Serious Eats variations quite often.
However, I stumbled on the recipe below (they’re all so similar, so not sure it matters) and really like it. Fresh yeast is key. This dough works great with the Uuni.

I like that guy’s videos, but for wood-fired temps, I’d leave the oil out and substitute back in the weight in water. The oil is to aid in browning with the assumption you’re cooking in a home oven that tops out around 500ºF. It will make the dough burn more easily at wood-fired temps.

Oops…I should add that I am with Larry here. I added oil the first time I followed his recipe, and have stopped due to the fact that I got some serious burn a couple pies.