Misen Chef's Knife

Based on Kenji Lopez-Alt’s review last year I participated in the Kickstarter campaign for this knife. Over 17 months later, it came last week. I like it very much, particularly because it is very sharp; they will sharpen for free later; and, stylisitically, it is a cross between a “rocker” knife and a Japanese santoku. I like having elements of both; it makes the knife very versatile.

Very satisfied.

Anyone else get one?

I backed the project and haven’t received the knife yet. I’m looking forward to receiving it in the near future.

David

I ordered two and got them today. Haven’t used them yet but I really like how they feel in my hand.

Mine arrives tomorrow. Finally!
Glad to hear your initial take is positive, Stuart.
Looking forward to working it out this weekend.

Was just curious if any of you have any actual Japanese knives and if so, how would this knife compare?

It’s in between a German Chef’s knife and a Japanese knife, closer to the former, IMO. Certainly shaped more like the traditional, German model.

So weight wise is more German?

to me it feels that way…it is lighter than a comparable Wusthof chef’s knife I have, though. The blade is also thinner.

for the lazy …

https://www.misen.co/pages/our-knife

Signed up back when this topic was posted. Just got an email and they have a limited number grey and blue handled knives available (black is sold out) so I went with grey. Looking forward to it!

It showed up today so naturally I had to give it go. Tried it out on some mies en plas and trimmed some short ribs. I love this knife! It is a bit heavier than my Wilburn and not quite as quick but the blade action and balance are awesome. So glad I bought this.

Thoughts on this wired.com review?

Especially where the writer claims that the blade (once shown to a “master bladesmith”) is more akin to one on a $12 knife than a $140 Wusthof.

I hadn’t heard of the knife and this wired article was like the 3rd search result on Google.

Interesting! I’ve only used it as described above but so far I like the knife a lot. As I mentioned it is not as precise and quick as my Wilburn Forge knife but I’m not sure it is a fair comparison considering the cost and craftsmanship. For $65 I’m happy, but it is also too early to consider edge duration and blade hardness. I’ll certainly update this post as I gain more experience with this knife.

Do people still like their knives?

I passed on the kickstarter (too much stuff in general) and confess that I only started thinking about these knives again because Facebook shows me ads 2x/day.

I ordered the knife, and rarely use it. I prefer a thinner blade for most uses, and a traditional Wusthof chef’s knife for heavy duty use.

I love using my chef’s knife and the serrated knife, too.

I like the lighter feel of the Misen chef’s knife for almost all tasks that don’t require a heavy knife. The thickness/thinness of the blade is perhaps the most versatile of any knife I’ve ever used, though it is neither heavy or particularly thin.

That serrated long knife is the best bread and slicing knife I’ve ever had, with a great, substantial handfeel to it, too. Great for bread, tomatoes, etc. Sharp as heck.

Peter/Stuart, thanks to both of you for your feedback.

We use all three misen knives we have. I agree that the serrated knife is great. Preferred over the wustof knives we have.

I have the knife. Like it. Multiple knives for a kitchen aren’t a terrible strategy and having this one in your arsenal is appropriate as it is a solid value.

What I love are their non stick pans. Really a great product.

Though I’m not a big fan or user of nonstick pans, my wife loves the two Misen ones we’ve bought.