Chicago 2016 Michelin star recipients announced

Chicago 2016 Michelin star recipients announced

— from Crain’s Chicago Business

Thanks Rob.

I’m beginning to think that Michelin stars don’t mean much to me. They seem to prefer a certain type of establishment (lots of molecular gastronomy on that list) and I had clunker meals at a couple of the places on the current list including Parachute (loud, salty, indifferent service) and El Ideas (nothing memorable, meh service).

I have only been to seven of the single stars, and the only one I had a problem with was Spiaggia, but that was a zillion years ago. I can’t believe that there are no 18th Street operations on the list.

I like Sepia, Blackbird, Longman and BOKA quite a bit from the one stars, but I tend to gravitate to the Bib Gourmand out of all of the Michelin recognized restaurants.

Michelin Chicago is not Michelin France.

Dined at Oriole last night and my wife and I agreed that this was one of better dinners in Chicago in a long, long time. There wasn’t anything about the experience that wasn’t excellent. I’d put it high on the list of Chicago’s best restaurants. It is a tasting menu and we did the wine pairings and they were good pairings if not terribly memorable wines. I would do both again. Michelin didn’t over rate this place. Of course, you have to like the tasting menu format, which I know some don’t, but this place is just fantastic.

JD

Smyth shocks me.

Haven’t been, don’t know much about it so too high? Too low?

JD

+1. I think Avec deserved a star too. And maybe that carnitas place (he said, remembering those simpler, more pork-filled days that have long since passed…).

Should be 2 star and will be next year easy. Just not opened long enough.

George

Haven’t been, don’t know much about it so too high? Too low?

JD

John, found the meal gimmicky, disjointed and in a few cases, unpleasant. There were some high marks, some very good/great dishes but more scattered than focused.

Geo (whom is a very good/dear friend) and I differ on this place quite a bit.

He may well win the debate on the **'s to be potentially offered but if they do pull ** I’d be very very surprised.

I’ll go back and give them another run AND it is very feasible I’m tiring of dishes I find trite (small dishes, gilding the proverbial lily) and wish I could sit and have a solid 3-5 course meal.

I find zero redeeming value in squid reduction on a micro green salad with duck tongue…

Space is wonderful and comfortable and it is obvious there are some serious skills in the kitchen.

Chris - I told you, you wouldn’t like the place. It is not your style… nothing wrong with that. That has no bearing on whether it deserves Michelins stars as it is certainly Michelin’s style.

The duck tongue dish was amazing…

George

Chris - I told you, you wouldn’t like the place. It is not your style.

Not quite accurate. You didn’t think I’d care for the food as it was seafood/veg heavy. That wasn’t the issue.

As to stylistic enjoyment - I don’t know that I see a difference between this type of food and Grace’s - and I enjoyed that tremendously.

What exactly is “Michelin’s style?”

Like you said it is certainly different here than in Europe.

I think Michelin gravitates to tasting menu type restaurants. I don’t think they care about farm to table, small plates or big pieces of prime meat. They shy away from ethnic foods like Indian, Thai, Mexican, Eastern European. Sometimes I think atmosphere can be more important than the food. Service is crucial.

While there is certainly no exact formula and not saying it is right or wrong or good or bad. IMO a restaurant like Smyth will be more likely to receive a star(s) before restaurants like RPM. (assuming the food quality is equal)

George

I ate at Everest a couple weeks ago and loved it. Great room with a view, good service and a decently priced wine list. It was maybe the most authentic French restaurant I have eaten in, in the US. The chef is Alsatian and the dishes were like many in Strasbourg and Colmar. Lobster with vin jaune sauce, pheasant ballotine with foie gras.

Loved a recent dinner at Everest as well but…when we asked that the '66 La Tâche be poured again in our glasses the wine server said “sure, you’d like some more of the pinot?”

Well. He wasn’t wrong. ??

She wasn’t. But we knew we were in the good ol’ US of A.

Why do you hate America?