Explain the double standard for me please

While reading the Costco Prime Rib thread this question arose for me once again. I figure it’s about time to ask it.

Why is it that if a vegetarian or vegan dines at my home I am expected to make them appropriate dishes but if I eat at their home they never cook me a steak, or chicken, or… I don’t want one of their gluten free nut pies as a main course.

Why are meat eaters expected to bow to the culinary choices of Vs but are never reciprocated?

Tell them to stop eating your lawn too!

That’s where my dogs pee. If that’s OK with them they can have all the greenery they want.

Cause they see meat as “contaminated”. It will taint their cookware, utensils, etc.

Just my theory.

Next time, just get a plate of crudites from the grocery store and tell them to go to town.

I am mostly vegetarian these days 99% of meals. I suspect you care more about the quality of meat than most so I would probably join you. But if I didn’t I’d be quite happy eating the non meat containing sides.

I cook meat for my children and guests.

I’ve never prepared a nut pie. Or eaten one.

There are idiot meat eaters and idiot vegetarians.

They see meat as immoral, much as you see salads. Preparing it for others doesn’t take the immorality away.

Immoral?

The killing of animals for meat, - yes

Vegetable lives matter too.

Brian, good manners are dying in this world of entitlement and lack of toleration of other’s beliefs. When entertaining we should always think of the well being of our guests. That is why they were invited in the first place.

First, few folks who eat meat do so exclusively. Instead, you have a meat, and several side dishes that either are vegetarian, or can be adapted to be vegetarian with little loss of flavor. Accordingly, it is easy for a meat eating person to adapt a meal to accommodate any vegetarian/vegan guests. Vegetarians/Vegans, on the other hand, do not routinely prepare meat containing dishes of any kind. Accordingly, it is more difficult for them to try to add a meat containing dish for guests.

Second, in light of the fact that meat eaters also routinely cook/eat vegetarian/vegan dishes, they typically have the skills/recipes to cook delicious vegetarian/vegan dishes in addition to the skills/recipes necessary to cook delicious meat dishes. Folks who never cook meat may well lack skills/recipes to make a good meat dish. Accordingly, they may well be doing you a favor by not trying to cook meat for you.

Does a beet not bleed when you cut into it does lettuce not wilt when you rip it’s spine out? Why does morality stop with animals, plants are living things too?

Did Jesus not feed the starving masses with fish and loaves of bread? Does that make Jesus immoral? As you can see I don’t buy into the morality defense. That’s a personal choice.

I get that I will normally have a side dish that is non-meat and a salad to go with my meal. When I am invited to a barbecue it ends up being veggie burgers and tofu dogs I feel like I’m being stiffed. Cooking preparation for a regular hot dog or a regular beef burger is no different.

That’s an example where I feel that I have to conform to the vegetarians choices while they are not expected to take mine into consideration.

Not trying to be argumentative here just trying to carry on did the debate from both sides.

As a dedicated carnivore, I can’t speak to the basis for believing that eating meat is immoral. However, putting morality aside, it may also simply be repulsive to vegetarians/vegans to handle/cook meat while handling/cooking vegetarian dishes would not carry the same problem for meat eaters. For example, I hate fish. I can’t stand the taste or smell, and have had meals ruined in restaurants where nearby diners are having very aromatic fish dishes. As such, any attempt by me to handle/cook fish will be difficult to impossible because it will be revolting (aesthetically) to me. Similarly, it may be repulsive to a vegetarian/vegan to handle/cook/smell/etc. meat. A non-vegetarian, on the other hand, is unlikely to find vegetarian/vegan dishes to be repulsive given that such folks routinely eat vegetarian/vegan dishes of various kinds.

I’m married to a vegetarian and am a carnivore through and through. My limts are generally no pets and no close relations. But a word of caution, speaking from by experience with a wife who is a pretty good cook. You may not enjoy meated dishes prepared by someone who does not made them regularly

If I was invited to a BBQ and was served vegan burgers and tofu dogs I’d be pissed. How hard is it to have some beef patties and hot dogs to throw on the grill for those that would rather not eat food that taste like sawdust? [stirthepothal.gif]

You don’t have to go. I wouldn’t.

Or I’d stop at White Castle and get that 30 pack crave case and bring it with me.

I think what Brain was saying (and it has happened to me too) is when you’re invited to dinner or a gathering and get no fair warning of what to expect. Case in point, when we invite guests for dinner, I always ask if those invited have any special requirements, allergies, foods they don’t like etc. Recently we were invited to a dinner party of 4 couples. No advance warning or expectation. Not only were the hosts vegetarians, but also strict vegan, AND they don’t cook with anything that has gluten. Let that sink in for a minute. So everything from the appetizers before dinner to the entire dinner to dessert, had no wheat, no dairy, no butter, no nothing. I am far from a picky eater, but everything was terrible without even a hint of flavor or texture. Honestly, in a situation such as that where your eating habits have so many restrictions, I believe it behooves you to at least inform you quests in advance.

I’d go Vegan first!

I guess I can see the nonmeat eater being put off by handling raw meat. The insensitive guy in me says suck it up buttercup, we all don’t get a participation award. I guess I’m just not sensitive enough.

These people shouldn’t be allowed to have guests.