Recommendations for Munich?

I and family will be there in mid-March for at least four nights. Interested in good wine bars and restaurants (at all levels). I suspect I am not going to love traditional Bavarian cuisine, but am open to it. Also hoping for places with a more international vibe.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

I have numerous recs here. The wine scene is spuriously just as strong as the beer scene so you’re going to have a great time!

Don’t miss the viktuellenmarkt and the butcher shops that line the NW street facing them. In the markt, you want the stand with the ox (ochs) and the fried potatoes Google Maps the bakery behind it is excellent. as is the horse butcher around the corner: Google Maps
Eataly is impressive if you haven’t been: Google Maps
Dalmayr has the most incredible prepared foods market. You can get a glass of champagne and herring in aspic, or other treats: Google Maps the restaurant above is excellent.
For fine dining I like Atelier Google Maps or another place i can’t immediately find but will if you need the rec.
For a bakery, I like Rischart. It’s a chain.
For Beer plus food i recommend Aventinus/Schneider. Don’t miss the Eisbock and the Eisbock liquer Google Maps for slightly better food but a more limited beer list Andechs am Dom Google Maps don’t miss the wagyu and deer specialties.
The hip coffee shop in town is Man vs Machine https://goo.gl/maps/8fsb2XrUQRB2
A nice wine shop with a light menu is Walter and Benjamin: Google Maps
A great beer shop is the Getranke Oase Google Maps
Lemme know if you need anything more.

Nice recommendations. I might want to go back just for the food.

I’ve also got some recs near Nurnberg if you venture that direction too. plus Frankfurt, Mosel, etc. HMU!

would love Frankfurt rec’s if you don’t mind

Sure. What are you looking for? wine, beer, apple wine, high end resto, meat monger, etc?

I’ll post about this in the Travel thread but one thing to note is that DHL inside Germany is incredibly cheap to ship wine. under $10 a case. So if you’re staying in a town for a few days, I highly recommend shipping wine from your favorite winery.

Thanks so much, Paul,

Very much appreciated. I would not mind another fine dining recommendation, if you happen to recall it. In the meantime, I will also keep an eye out in Travel. (Forgot it was there!).

Again, many thanks!
Josh

Wine, Beer, and high end restaurants.
I’ve been in Frankfurt area (to the Northwest) so many times but can’t say I have ever gotten mind-blowing beer.
Bitburger, etc
Thanks

Are you a cheese fan? This place is part of the Guild of Cheese. also nice place for caviar, etc. reasonableish prices. Google Maps and it’s on the back side of Eataly.

Menu: http://www.restaurant-blauerbock.de/menue.pdf

this place has a nice resto and a great wine shop which you can view online: Google Maps

One of the first truly global Michelin quality places in Germany was Tantris. I haven’t been in ages though.

Thanks again, Paul,

They all look good-but Broeding definitely strikes me as a real find. We’ll definitely go!

Best,
Josh

1 Like

If that’s your style, don’t miss the deli at Dalmayr.
IMG_20161223_000216_146.jpg
20161222_200226.jpg

More pics from Dalmayr
20161222_200908.jpg
IMG_20161223_001118_994.jpg

Note to self: I’m going to Dalmayr the next time I’m in Munich.

Depending on the age of your kids - the English Gardens are a nice walk, with some genius putting sausage and beer stands next to the kids playground. #winning

This is a lot of fun to watch → Surf A River In The Middle Of Munich, Because You Can And It's Awesome | HuffPost Life

2 Likes

killer pate and cheese

1 Like

Following up after Munich visit (thanks again to Paul, Andrew and others):

Never got to Dallmayr (which was closed the day we visited the Altstadt), but did go to Broeding, which was a very fun, sweet place, welcoming, nice, young staff–s little like Brooklyn comes to Munich. The wine list is almost all Austrian, some of which they import and about which they are very knowledgeable. (We had Blaufrankisch from Moric, actually a collobaration, called Jagini, 2011, as the waitperson/wine standard thought the straight Moric, which they also had, did not fully show the grape’s character. She also poured me a glass of dessert wine from Wenzel, single-picked berries, Ausbrucke, which was extraordinary.)
I would give the food a B+. Some of it is quite experimental, and at times works better than others. The meal is a 5 or 6 course prix fixe, the first four, being starter/soup/fish/meat, and the last cheese and/or dessert. The starter was tongue on microgreens on a peanut sauce, all of which were great, but the sauce, which seemed superfluous. Main was hanger steak with celery risotto, very nice. Only one menu per evening.
The other place we dined of note in Munich is called Halali. More of an old school place, it really was firing on all cylinders, every dish perfectly prepared. (My main was fish with prawn and scallop in lobster sauce–can still taste the last. Partner had venison w/red cabbage–very nice, and son, 11, probably the best dish: veal tenderloin with a porcini crust.) Wine last is extensive and decently well-chosen, mainly German and Austrian, but they also allow byo–not sure corkage.
Enjoyed Munich, especially our neighborhood (Museum district, Maxvorstadt); the Bavarian food, even when good, can be a bit punishing after a while, so we are looking forward to hitting Paris.

Any updates to this thread? Specifically looking for pescatarian and veg friendly and casual restaurants. Also, interesting wine bars. Thanks.

Best restaurant in Munich for me was an Italian restaurant, Acquarello. Great for pescatarian. Ate there twice in 5 nights. Pricey but delivers.
Tantris was excellent but even pricier.

(One and two Michelin stars respectively.

Didn’t like the attitude at Esszimmer for what it’s worth.

1 Like