A great potato recipe

in Dallas, at a now closed restaurant, I pried the ingredients of an amazing potato recipe from the chef (via the server), have now made it several times, and it is amazing.

You will have to figure out proportions, as did I, but it is not hard.

Russet potatoes
Crème fraîche
Butter
Parsley–dried or fresh
Capers and their vinegar
Lemon juice
Pepper
Salt

Bake the potatoes till done. Cool and scoop out. (I save the skins and eat them with butter another time after reheating and crisping in oven.) Add crème fraîche, butter, capers and ample vinegar, lemon juice, spices. Mix with fork, but leave it rustic, not whipped or completely mashed, small chunks of potatoes.

Can be made a day or more in advance and reheated. Never imagined mixing cream with lemon or vinegar, but the combination is amazing.

Love spuds, but there are two things I will not eat. One of those would be capers and the other catfish.

What’s the matter with capers?!?!?

Sounds really quite good, Alan, and comfortably within my cooking skill level.

What’s the matter with catfish?!!?! Don’t tell me it’s cause it’s a bottom feeder.

Completely cool as in a potato salad? Or perhaps a warm salad?
Sounds like it would be good with fish.

Is Crème fraîche a purchased item or self made?

these potatoes are served hot and I bought the crème fraîche.

Either. It’s quite expensive in stores though. I make my own and it’s damn good. Nice thing about making your own is you have control over the final texture and tartness level based on how long you let the creme fraiche ferment.

It’s really easy to make as well. Base recipe I believe is one tablespoon of cultured buttermilk per one cup of heavy whipping cream. Combine, put in a non reactive bowl and let sit out.

Most recipes call for letting it sit out at room temp for up to a day, but I almost always let it go a couple days, stirring 2-3 times a day, as I like a thicker/more tart creme. When you get it where you want it simply move it to the fridge.

We made this last night and it was great. My almost 10 year old granddaughter loved the lack of specific quantities. It is the first cousin of a german potato salad a restaurant in Ann Arbor used to serve.

glad to hear it! Agree w the German reference–have a recipe w vinegar that is German.

Well Jason, it probably wouldn’t turn you on to capers but the best are packed in salt.