Cheddar Chatter: The Cheese Thread

It seems like we were taking over the Rush Creek Reserve thread for just general cheese chat, thought I’d make a new one. I’m sure there’s an older one we could revive but it’s not on the first few pages.

Eating a portion of Murray’s St Mark’s (Murray's St. Mark's | Murray's Cheese). This isn’t my first one and I like it a lot. The Fred Meyer in Newberg was running a special ($2 off, so $6.99/ramekin). Stick it in the oven for a few minutes to soften up and start dipping. On the salty side.

Nolan, good timing. I finally had a chance to try the Jasper Hill Winnimare, bought a wheel from WF last weekend (after I inquired about it, to which the cheese dude proceeded to make a wheel magically appear from behind the counter…because “we don’t put it out” [wow.gif] ).

The Winnimare was absolutely delicious. Although I would say it was a bit less nuanced than the Rush Creek Reserve. Still, epic cheese was epic.

They also had a bunch of Harbison in stock, thinking about going back to grab a wheel.

Harbison is well represented here and price varies widely but Whole Foods seems to have the lowest price on cheese across the board.

I saw the cider washed rind from Jasper Hill the other day but it was quite pricey for a very small wheel.

Costco has been carrying the mini wheels of Humboldt Fog. I love letting it sit for weeks until it’s 50% liquid inside. classic cheese.

I haven’t had this one, but Vermont Creamery also makes an excellent St. Marcellin styled cheese called St. Albans. It’s better than any true St. Marcellin I’ve been able to buy in the US.

Vt. Creamery is really a star in US cheesemaking. The Coupole is my favorite goat cheese now.

I enjoyed the Willamette Valley Cheese Co French Brie this weekend. 50% runny from their organically farmed Jersey Cows. On the “clean” side but beautiful depth and texture.

Paul, have you tried to Kunik yet?

I have not but I’ll check. http://www.murrayscheese.com/kunik

I always worry about cheese and (too) cold storage on shipment. It’s one of the reasons I think we all prefer our local stuff–it actually does taste better. I’ve had better luck with Murray’s than most other places so I’ll give it a shot.

What do you think of their quality overall?

generally it’s fine. this stood out as better than my typical experience.

I’m a big fan of Kunik. I first tried it at Lucy’s Whey - the cheese store in the Chelsea Market which evangelizes for artisanal US cheese producers. Heartbroken to learn they closed a few days ago.