Cast Iron- share all your favorite tips/tricks/recipies

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Joe Webb » March 7th, 2017, 1:25 pm

After going thru 2 sets of expensive pans in the last 10 years we are slowly converting our kitchen to mostly cast iron. I have always been a stickler about not metal on the non stick pans but there still becomes missing pieces of the coating that I know gets in to our food. The first nice set of stuff we got was for our wedding. The knifes and dutch oven (ceramic coated) are the only things that are still performing. We have one large stainless pan that is ok but we still prefer the cast iron. We cook at home most meals most days as in Anderson Valley there are not many options. When were on the road we treat ourselves to fine dining (was more before the 2 year old).

We started with a Lodge 15" skillet with lid. Loved it so much we got the 12" skillet for more everyday use, the bigger one is great if we have guests. We also got the 12" deep skillet for frying and less splatter. The most recent additions were the flat rectangle grill/griddle, one smooth side one with ribs and one smaller 10" grill pan with ribs. I use those on the webber, fish on the griddle pan, veggies in the grill pan with tin foil over top. We have a few other miscellaneous hand me downs we have collected as well. Seems like we need less pans which takes up less space and that they are easier to clean once broke in proper.

We really have enjoyed using them, going from stove top to oven or from webber to table has been great. The wife would occasionally burn her had with the other silicone handled items if they went in the oven. Now everything is hot handled so easier to remember. We have an electric stove and the heat is hotter longer and much more even. I mostly use grape seed oil as it has a higher smoking point than olive oil.

So far the only draw back has been eggs. We have one small 1-2 egg non stick that we still use for eggs from our chickens. One of us got that pan in college and it was not expensive but has held up well. Other than that a stick of butter or bacon fat is the only way I have got them not to stick.

Any tips, tricks, recommendations, recipes for the WB foodies. Were planning on basically converting all our cook ware to cast iron. Next is bakeware and handleless griddles enough for serving and scrapping regular plates. We drink lots of wine and I always heat the plates when guest are over but the ceramic can crack and I think cast will hold heat longer.I searched and found the topic mentioned in a few places, mostly around steak/Flannery duh but thought the topic deserved its one thread.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

Bill Tex Landreth

#2 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 7th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Preheat in the oven.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Mel Hill

#3 Post by Mel Hill » March 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm

+1 on the pre-heating and buy vintage pans without the rough surface. Season with food grade flax seed oil.
Pre heat to 200 deg light coat of flax seed oil 450 deg oven for a couple of hours and repeat....

Bill Tex Landreth

#4 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 7th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Mel Hill wrote:+1 on the pre-heating and buy vintage pans without the rough surface. Season with food grade flax seed oil.
Pre heat to 200 deg light coat of flax seed oil 450 deg oven for a couple of hours and repeat....
I am a fan of coconut oil, but flax works just as well.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Joe Webb » March 7th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Mel Hill wrote:+1 on the pre-heating and buy vintage pans without the rough surface. Season with food grade flax seed oil.
I did notice the hand me downs were much smother than the new ones. Maybe time to start looking for used older stuff. I will have to get some flax seed oil and try it out. Thanks for the ideas.
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

P. Willenberg

#6 Post by P. Willenberg » March 7th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I'm a big fan of the Finex pans if you want something fancy.

I've never had problems with eggs and much prefer the texture to nonstick ones. Just preheat the pan well.

don't be afraid to clean them. you aren't going to rub off the seasoning, just don't cook acid in them.

invest in a cheap induction burner. they are roughly $60 on amazon. they heat up much faster than your electric stove and you can run them outside for summer cooking.

be conscious that they retain heat for a long time so if you have sugars or liquid proteins, don't leave them in there for a long time after cooking unless you're ok with very brown or burnt.

you can google it, but flax seed oil is the best way to season them. stinks like rotting salmon though.

get a fish spatula as the slight angle is really great for removing things, not just fish.

bake bread in your preheated dutch oven!

make sure you dry it well after washing. I usually just turn on the burner for a moment and let it evap.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by David Wright » March 7th, 2017, 3:16 pm

P. Willenberg wrote: invest in a cheap induction burner. they are roughly $60 on amazon. they heat up much faster than your electric stove and you can run them outside for summer cooking.
Any particular brand/model you can recommend (or any to avoid)? I have thought about this for occasional outdoor use, but wondered if the sub-$100 options were actually useful

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Joe Webb » March 7th, 2017, 3:24 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:I'm a big fan of the Finex pans if you want something fancy.

I've never had problems with eggs and much prefer the texture to nonstick ones. Just preheat the pan well.

don't be afraid to clean them. you aren't going to rub off the seasoning, just don't cook acid in them.

invest in a cheap induction burner. they are roughly $60 on amazon. they heat up much faster than your electric stove and you can run them outside for summer cooking.

be conscious that they retain heat for a long time so if you have sugars or liquid proteins, don't leave them in there for a long time after cooking unless you're ok with very brown or burnt.

you can google it, but flax seed oil is the best way to season them. stinks like rotting salmon though.

get a fish spatula as the slight angle is really great for removing things, not just fish.

bake bread in your preheated dutch oven!

make sure you dry it well after washing. I usually just turn on the burner for a moment and let it evap.
All great info, will try a hotter pan for eggs. The wife has been trying bread in the dutch oven but not pre-heated will try that next. I have used the side burner on the gas grill and the beer making burner in the summer outside but I like the idea a induction will look into that. Neither of the gas ones work great the one on the grill is kinda wimpy on BTU, and the other is hard to fine tune plus they can put soot on the pan.

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by H Wallace Jr » March 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Pan pizza in a cast iron skillet is pretty awesome.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... pizza.html
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Paul Luckin

#10 Post by Paul Luckin » March 7th, 2017, 4:31 pm

great topic - i just got my first iron skillet a short while ago.

Q: is it ok to put meat (e.g. flank steak) that has been in a marinade into an iron skillet?
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Bill Tex Landreth

#11 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 7th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Paul Luckin wrote:great topic - i just got my first iron skillet a short while ago.

Q: is it ok to put meat (e.g. flank steak) that has been in a marinade into an iron skillet?
If you dry it off completely. If not, it will burn badly and smoke like a SOB.

Paul Luckin

#12 Post by Paul Luckin » March 7th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Paul Luckin wrote:great topic - i just got my first iron skillet a short while ago.

If you dry it off completely. If not, it will burn badly and smoke like a SOB.
awesome. thanks.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Matt Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Matt Allen » March 7th, 2017, 6:58 pm

I always cook cornbread in a well-seasoned, old, cast iron skillet.

Preheat oven to 425. Make your favorite cornbread batter. Put the skillet in the oven to heat fully. Add a TB of butter to the pan and let it heat for a minute. Pour in the batter and cook until done. I always turn on the convection for the last few minutes. It always has a great crust and it never sticks.

Joe Webb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Joe Webb » March 7th, 2017, 7:10 pm

H Wallace Jr wrote:Pan pizza in a cast iron skillet is pretty awesome.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... pizza.html
Yum that ones going on the list to do's soon.
Matt Allen wrote:I always cook cornbread in a well-seasoned, old, cast iron skillet.

Preheat oven to 425. Make your favorite cornbread batter. Put the skillet in the oven to heat fully. Add a TB of butter to the pan and let it heat for a minute. Pour in the batter and cook until done. I always turn on the convection for the last few minutes. It always has a great crust and it never sticks.
As its chili season still ill fire this one up next time.

Elliot Steele

#15 Post by Elliot Steele » March 7th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Matt Allen wrote:I always cook cornbread in a well-seasoned, old, cast iron skillet.

We just had the most insane cornbread at our last offline. The guy who made it used his cast iron skillet too although if I remember correctly he did not preheat the pan and yet the cornbread didn't stick at all. His pan must have been heavily seasoned to do so I am assuming. I've been using my carbon steel pans lately and like them better than my cast iron. To me they perform equally well, but the carbon steel is way lighter and easier to work quickly with.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 7th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:

We just had the most insane cornbread at our last offline. The guy who made it used his cast iron skillet too although if I remember correctly he did not preheat the pan and yet the cornbread didn't stick at all. His pan must have been heavily seasoned to do so I am assuming. I've been using my carbon steel pans lately and like them better than my cast iron. To me they perform equally well, but the carbon steel is way lighter and easier to work quickly with.
What's the make of your pans?

Elliot Steele

#17 Post by Elliot Steele » March 7th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I've got Mauviel carbon steel pans.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Brian Ojalvo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Brian Ojalvo » March 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Wanna keep these puppies well seasoned? Cook bacon in them.....lots and lots of bacon.
West of Temperance Winery

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by MBerto » March 8th, 2017, 6:51 am

With the newer pans - just use them! I've had several new Lodge pieces, and while they say "pre-seasoned", it's nothing compares to what develops after 2-3 years. After nearly every use, I wash, dry, then as someone suggested put on the burner to fully dry. I then wait until it smokes, and wipe down with canola (or your favorite high heat) oil. This might be "overkill" in terms of seasoning, but I also don't think it hurts.

Also until your seasoning is rock solid perfect, it'll help to use just a tiny amount of fat with certain sticky foods - pancakes, eggs, etc. Just putting a bit on a paper towel and wiping around the pan can be enough.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by H Wallace Jr » March 8th, 2017, 10:57 am

Three more easy ones that we have tweaked into our own versions
Splayed Roast Chicken w/ Ramps (I use this method even without ramps)
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/124 ... ized-ramps

Cast Iron Skillet Ribeye
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... eye-recipe
Depending on the thickness of the steaks, you may need to adjust the time in the oven

Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/pan- ... en-thighs/

Beyond cooking, I think cast iron is excellent for reheating. We don't have a microwave and the cast iron heats things up quickly and evenly. Pizza is way better in the skillet (in oven) vs microwave or on aluminum foil in the oven.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

P. Willenberg

#21 Post by P. Willenberg » March 8th, 2017, 11:13 am

good point about reheating Hardy. I love to reheat dishes in the cast iron to give them extra crust such as mac n cheese, green bean casserole, stuffing (we eat thanksgiving sides year round).
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Rob_S

#22 Post by Rob_S » March 8th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Never, ever cook tomatoes in them.

Never, ever let your cleaning lady touch them as they will invariably pour copious amounts of soap in them.

Once it's really well seasoned just run hot water in it and scrub with a brush or a piece of SS chainmail to clean. Put it back in the oven/hot stove to dry so it won't rust.

My best/favorite cast iron is a 10 inch 1970's era frying pan from IKEA. Made in Denmark and the grain is so fine and it's so well seasoned I can do a non-stick sunny side up egg in it.
utherland

ybarselah

#23 Post by ybarselah » March 8th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Rob_S wrote:a piece of SS chainmail to clean.
this. changed my life.

Amagabeli 8"x6" Stainless Steel 316L Cast Iron Cleaner - Chainmail Scrubber for Cast Iron Pan Pre-Seasoned Pan Dutch Ovens Waffle Iron Lodge Pans Scraper Cast Iron Grill Scraper Skillet Scraper
by Amagabeli
Link: http://a.co/aWYFLN0
Yaacov (ITB)

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by MBerto » March 8th, 2017, 5:02 pm

If you don't want to use soap in your CIS then by all means don't, but I abided by this for several years before being told it didn't matter, tried soap, and my life has been marginally better since then. Of course I've also been told "don't soak them", but I find with my currently super-seasoned skillet, a 20 minute soak followed by soft sponge (with/without soap) gets about anything off no problem. Never tried the chain-mail, have heard good things but never needed it.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

jmckinley

#25 Post by jmckinley » March 8th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Love Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread!!
J.O.S.H McKinley

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Michae1 P0wers » March 9th, 2017, 6:39 am

Do you guys strip it down to the iron before re-seasoning, or is there merit to just applying another layer of coconut or flax oil to an already-seasoned pan? I have just one cast iron pan, a circa 1906-1909 Griswold 12". I love it, use it for all kinds of things. Between that and an old Le Creuset enameled Dutch oven I'd say they make up 60% of my cookware usage.

Matt Thomas

#27 Post by Matt Thomas » March 9th, 2017, 6:54 am

Do you let it cool completely before cleaning?

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by b. c@stner » March 9th, 2017, 7:50 am

I've got about a dozen cast iron pieces. All vintage Wagner Ware and Griswold except for two vintage unmarked pieces. A genuinely properly seasoned piece can take a little soap, but generally they don't need it. You can also use a little kosher salt and a towel/dishrag on a still warm pan to clean. I find the sides of roasters after a long braise get the dirtiest. And then a quick wipe, on the stove to dry, then a little canola oil. Haven't tried the chain but someone gave me one, might have to pull it out.
Do the Lodge pans ever get smooth? Never bought one. I can't believe they get as smooth as the old pieces.
b 0 b

Corey N.

#29 Post by Corey N. » March 9th, 2017, 7:53 am

ybarselah wrote:
Rob_S wrote:a piece of SS chainmail to clean.
this. changed my life.

Amagabeli 8"x6" Stainless Steel 316L Cast Iron Cleaner - Chainmail Scrubber for Cast Iron Pan Pre-Seasoned Pan Dutch Ovens Waffle Iron Lodge Pans Scraper Cast Iron Grill Scraper Skillet Scraper
by Amagabeli
Link: http://a.co/aWYFLN0
Thanks, I just ordered one.

Cooks Illustrated suggested that the ones with finer mesh work better.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Milton Hudson

#30 Post by Milton Hudson » March 9th, 2017, 8:19 am

Preheat oven to 425. Make your favorite cornbread batter. Put the skillet in the oven to heat fully. Add a SPOON of BACON FAT to the pan and let it heat for a minute. Pour in the batter and cook until done. I always turn on the convection for the last few minutes. It always has a great crust and it never sticks.
FIFY

Milton Hudson

#31 Post by Milton Hudson » March 9th, 2017, 8:27 am

I also just throw the skillet after washing into a hot oven. With our high relative humidity it is the driest place in the house. Most of my stuff is Lodge except for a 100+ year old generic piece that my mom got from her mom. It is about 4 inches deep and what she used for frying chicken when we were growing up. It has a thinner bottom than the Lodges.

In addition to the regular range of 10, 12 and 14 inch. I also have a couple of 6 inch. I use them for brownies, corn bread, grilled cheese. For example I might make a batch of batter, pour half "plain" into one skillet and then make the other skillet Jalapeno Cheddar. I also use them like a panini press, get both hot and then put one on the other.

I usually use a little soap if there was a bunch of food cooked in it. If it was just cornbread or a grilled cheese, then hot water, a quick wipe dry then toss in the oven.

Mel Hill

#32 Post by Mel Hill » March 9th, 2017, 8:35 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:Do you guys strip it down to the iron before re-seasoning, or is there merit to just applying another layer of coconut or flax oil to an already-seasoned pan? I have just one cast iron pan, a circa 1906-1909 Griswold 12". I love it, use it for all kinds of things. Between that and an old Le Creuset enameled Dutch oven I'd say they make up 60% of my cookware usage.
I took Grandma's 8" CI skillet down to bare iron (it rusts QUICKLY) I don't think I'd do it again as it took a couple of years to build back the surface. I used easy-off and then heavy duty sanding.

Image 2011
IMG_2597.JPG

flax seed oil process
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Jason T » March 9th, 2017, 9:48 am

I've got a skillet that has performed reasonably well for years now but in one spot (about an inch wide and about 3-4 inches long). I tried stipping all of it and starting over but that was a chore.

Since it's just that one spot that is screwed up, is it possible simply season that spot? UNderstanding it may never be perfectly smooth at the transition. Just trying to understand if it's possible to salvage or if I need to bite the bullet and strip the whole thing down and start over.
J@son Tr@ughber

P. Willenberg

#34 Post by P. Willenberg » March 9th, 2017, 10:31 am

It could have overheated (or quickly cooled) in that spot and reforged itself incorrectly.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Eric Michels

#35 Post by Eric Michels » March 10th, 2017, 9:55 am

Matt Thomas wrote:Do you let it cool completely before cleaning?
Just the opposite - I always try to clean while still hot from cooking. When hot, I can clean almost anything off in seconds. When cool, it's a lot more work. In fact, if I didn't have a chance to clean it before it cooled down, I almost always heat the pan back up before cleaning.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 10th, 2017, 10:24 am

Mel, if you get to disaster mode with your skillet... take a 2L of Coke and pour half of it in. The rust will vanish immediately and what little is left will come off easily with steel wool. We had left ours in storage for several years and it was a disaster, until I used Coke to clean it. Of course, you're never going to want to drink Coke again, but hey.
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

Matt Thomas

#37 Post by Matt Thomas » March 10th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Eric Michels wrote:
Just the opposite - I always try to clean while still hot from cooking. When hot, I can clean almost anything off in seconds. When cool, it's a lot more work. In fact, if I didn't have a chance to clean it before it cooled down, I almost always heat the pan back up before cleaning.
How do you clean it when it is hot?

Eric Michels

#38 Post by Eric Michels » March 10th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Matt Thomas wrote:
Eric Michels wrote:
How do you clean it when it is hot?
I first remove anything heavy with a plastic scraper and then clean with a green plastic scrub pad under running water. If it's really hot, I'll hold the scrub pad with a pair of tongs (which I was probably just using to cook with anyway). I will warn that when hot enough this process will aerosolize the oil that was in your pan as the water steams off the hot pan. It just means that I have to clean the hanging light fixtures above the sink more often that I otherwise would have to. The net time savings on quick cast iron clean up is worth it to me.

Matt Thomas

#39 Post by Matt Thomas » March 11th, 2017, 11:19 am

Eric Michels wrote:
I first remove anything heavy with a plastic scraper and then clean with a green plastic scrub pad under running water. If it's really hot, I'll hold the scrub pad with a pair of tongs (which I was probably just using to cook with anyway). I will warn that when hot enough this process will aerosolize the oil that was in your pan as the water steams off the hot pan. It just means that I have to clean the hanging light fixtures above the sink more often that I otherwise would have to. The net time savings on quick cast iron clean up is worth it to me.
This doesn't warp the pan?

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Lee Short » March 11th, 2017, 2:07 pm

+1 on the carbon steel pans being what I use more often. But occasionally you really need that thermal mass of the cast iron, so I like to have both in the kitchen.

My carbon pans are de Buyer, and I'm happy with all but one of them. That one has warped, probably someone mistreated it.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Jay Miller » March 13th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I'll put in a shout out for enameled cast iron. All the thermal mass benefits and none of the work associated with seasoning a new pan or concerns about rust.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Ken Strauss » March 13th, 2017, 1:49 pm

High end American Made

I have 1 piece I love. They come seasoned.

I waited 8 weeks to get my roaster
http://blanccreatives.com/store/
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Eric Michels

#43 Post by Eric Michels » March 13th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Matt Thomas wrote:
Eric Michels wrote:
This doesn't warp the pan?
In theory, it could crack but I've never worried about warping. The cast iron is too thick for that. For clarity, I wouldn't do this with an enameled piece - I think that there is a real risk of crazing there.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#44 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 14th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Question cast iron gurus - is there such a thing as too hot? Could one put a cast iron pan on a 150K BTU wok burner, or would it eat the pan alive? We've never put anything but the wok on there. We seared a rib cap in the wok once and it was amazing, but the curve of the pan made it difficult to handle. Curious if the cast iron would work.

ybarselah

#45 Post by ybarselah » March 14th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Question cast iron gurus - is there such a thing as too hot? Could one put a cast iron pan on a 150K BTU wok burner, or would it eat the pan alive? We've never put anything but the wok on there. We seared a rib cap in the wok once and it was amazing, but the curve of the pan made it difficult to handle. Curious if the cast iron would work.
will be fine. i left one (accidentally) on the stove top overnight on high with nothing in it after cleaning it. probably 7 or 8 hours.

also, your wok is likely cast iron or carbon steel. so basically the same thing.

i actually prefer my carbon steel pan to my cast iron, but the differences are negligible and i have use for both.
Yaacov (ITB)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#46 Post by c fu » March 14th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Question cast iron gurus - is there such a thing as too hot? Could one put a cast iron pan on a 150K BTU wok burner, or would it eat the pan alive? We've never put anything but the wok on there. We seared a rib cap in the wok once and it was amazing, but the curve of the pan made it difficult to handle. Curious if the cast iron would work.
I once left a cast iron over a partially covered charcoal grill to pre heat. I forgot about it and it got so hot it cooked off most of the seasoning. Worked out well since I wanted to re-season at some point anyways.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Eric Michels

#47 Post by Eric Michels » March 14th, 2017, 3:33 pm

For those of us that don't have a 150K BTU burner to use a regular thin-walled carbon steel wok, I highly recommend Lodge's thick-walled cast iron version. It has a flat bottom for use on a standard cooktop, a fully concave interior, and the mass of it and cast iron construction mean that it will suck up enough heat to avoid cooling right down when you add your food (a problem I had on weaker stoves with a thin walled carbon steel wok). It is clearly not the same as having a full on wok burner but the closest that I've been able to come at home.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#48 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 14th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Thanks all!

P. Willenberg

#49 Post by P. Willenberg » March 14th, 2017, 3:39 pm

I have a set of cast iron pans I use in the 850F pizza oven. Ones that I don't care if they warp or develop hot spots. Cast iron is cheap enough, might as well.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Ken Strauss » March 14th, 2017, 4:47 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:
I have a set of cast iron pans I use in the 850F pizza oven. Ones that I don't care if they warp or develop hot spots. Cast iron is cheap enough, might as well.
I bought the cast iron roaster specifically to use in my pizza oven. No problem.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”