Naples, FL Dining

Anyone have good recommendations for Naples? Looking for non chain places

I don’t think there are too many chain restaurants in Italy.

Funny guy

one of the best lists …

Thanks. Enjoy the trip. Never been so can’t help you there.

Not sure where you are staying so ill throw out some ideas. If you have specific questions, i am happy to answer them. We spend a bunch of time there each year.
Bleu Provence is fantastic…unreal wine list. The family who owns and runs it is all world.
Bar Tulia is great for casual italian influenced gastro pub fare and great cocktails. Osteria Tulia is also great but i prefer the Bar side.
M waterfront Grill at the Shops at Venetian Village has long been a favorite.
La Moraga which is not in an awesome location is a great spanish restaurant.
The Continental is better for lunch than dinner but again after dinner for the bar and live music.
Campiellos is always great food and atmosphere.
Brooks Diner is a really good greasy sppon type place.
Jimmy P’s butcher shop and restaurant charred are totally worth a visit.

The Little bar in goodland is delish.
Rumba has some tasty Cuban food. Awesome tres leches.
Bha Bha is terrific, order the lamb.

I’ll second Bleu Provence but if you are or look under 40, you can expect poor service.

Campiello’s is great too.

I’d avoid anything in the Mercato area as I’ve never had a good meal anywhere in there except for the Capital Grill which is, of course a chain.

Roy’s is a chain but I’ve had good dining experiences there (Bonita Springs).

For no frills experience but great fish, Randy’s is pretty darn good. And Chop’t used to be good. Not sure if it is anymore.

And for breakfasts, big fan of Skillets, which is a local chain but still good.

In Naples this week and staying at the Naples Grande Beach resort. The high end restaurant here is the Catch of the Pelican. On Wednesday nights they do half off wine with the purchase of two entrees. That brought the bottle of 2013 Opus One to $175. They also have the 2014 and 2015. It is not the most extensive wine list but there are a few good bottles at reasonable prices.

The food was very good. We were there last night as well, and the Crab cakes, mussels and korean bbq short rib were standouts. The stone crab claws were good also but pretty much the same everywhere.

Overall loved this resort as a family friendly place with a nice pool, and several great dining options in walking distance or a very short drive. The spa is just okay - overpriced for what you get.

My octogenarian Mother lives in Estero, north of Naples and I regularly visit the region. During the high season, I avoid going into Naples at all costs. It can regularly take 45 minutes to drive 12 miles into downtown Naples where all the restaurants feel like chain restaurants (even if they aren’t) and are tremendously overpriced for the quality. As a result, I tend to try ethnic places in Bonita Springs, Estero, and Ft Myers.

Here are some of my favorites -

1, Mykonos - Standard greek fare in a small strip mall (aren’t they all in strip malls ) Solid food, authentic and well priced Greek wines.

2, El Rancherito, Bonita Sp.- Real authentic Mexican food in a Tortilla factory. You order at the counter and they bring to the table. Amazingly cheap and fresh. Their mole is good and the tacos al pastor are incredibly good. Also, their chips and guac are totally fresh and homemade. I always buy a warm package of corn tortillas to bring back to Boston.

3, Taco Vazquez, Estero - Located inside a gas station, this is another authentic Mexican joint. Long lines at lunch given all the Latin American laborers in the area. Can easily grab lunch or dinner for under 10 bucks.

4, German Deli, San Carlos - Very few people know that over 50,000 Germans vacation in Ft Myers annually due to regular nonstops from Dusseldorf to Ft Myers. The German deli is a small place across form the huge Walmart. Great wursts, schnitzels, and a small grocery store.

5, AJI LIMON TASTE OF PERU - This restaurant is on Old 41 in Bonita Springs. If you are into Ceviche, this place will be heaven for you. Large authentic menu as well.

6, Jimmy P’s - I haven’t tried the new restaurant since the prices are crazy high but their butcher shop on old 41 is a prime beef eater paradise. From Prime all the way up to real Wagyu, their beef is first rate. I also get a variety of sausages there and grill at home.

I have yet to find great pizza or incredibly fresh local seafood that isn’t fried or blackened. For fish, I tend to go to Dougs and to whole foods for stone crabs. In season, the jumbo size were over $50 lb. I bought 1 and it cost $35. Now I buy smaller sizes and dig away.

We have enjoyed Citrus several times corkage friendly

Anything new?

Bar tulip is a must for cocktails. Campiello has a new club in the back. The Continental still has steaks and vibes figured out. Captain and Krewe is still awesome for lunch or fish market. Sails is really the new kid on the block. Beautiful space and traditional European service with great wood grilled cooking.

Thanks, we’re going there the end of January. I have reservations for Campiello and Sails along with Bleu Provence and Lamoraga. The weather doesn’t look so great. We’ll try to get to Captain and Krewe for lunch along with Bar Tulia.

Slight thread drift. We’ve been thinking about buying a 2nd home in Naples. If you live in the area I’d appreciate your thoughts

We’ve eaten at Italian restaurants throughout Florida and this is one of the best. Worthy enough that my wife and I will be making a trip to Naples at some point to enjoy. It’s been a few years but the pasta was some of the best I’ve had in the U.S.

Sails is very nice, expensive but worth it. Corkage is $25, then $35 for the 2nd and $100 for bottles 3, 4,5, etc. Campbiello was the usual scene, but had a good pasta dish and a decent wine list.
Lamoraga has good food, but not a good list. Bleu Provence still has the best wine list and the food is pretty good along with good service.
Naples Natural Wine has good natural selections and the owner is a good guy. What I bought wasn’t heat damaged, so I have confidence the owner knows what he is doing.
The Naples wine scene is much better now with more diversity.