What did you can from the garden?

With the high level epicureans here, wondering what else you folk put up. This is the first year I’ve had a garden big enough to necessitate canning (and ferments). Here I have several different versions of marinara, salsas, pickled cucumbers, pickled hot peppers, fermenting hot peppers in the crock, pickled smoked beats, plain carrots, tomato water from leftovers strained, and pickled green heirloom tomatoes. Love having a cellar to store them! What did you can that is good eats?
canned.jpeg

One thing: Roma tomatoes. I cut them in half, added touch of EVOO and S&P and a touch of sugar and roasted them for a while in a hot oven. Then, blitzed them in a food processor to the consistency of canned “diced” tomatoes. I’ve already used one jar for pizza sauce…they were awesome.
20171102_090306.jpg
20171102_090240.jpg
20171102_090345 (1).jpg
20171102_090323.jpg

Hot sauce.
IMG_9542.JPG
IMG_9543.JPG
IMG_9544.JPG
Transferred to 5oz jars last night.

Nice, Brian. Just how “hot” is it?

That looks delicious! What do you add for acidity to ensure that the pH inhibits botulism toxins?

If Brandon never replies, the answer was, “nothing”.

On a par with Chinese Chili Paste, maybe a bit hotter. About the same consistency too.

That’s not hot sauce, this is hot sauce! [diablo.gif]

You can always pressure can so you don’t need to add lemon juice.
IMG_6236 copy.jpeg

1/2 tsp. of good ol’ citric acid per jar, and still here to tell you about it! champagne.gif

My sister told me to leave the skins on if we were making “crushed” tomatoes, so I did. I figured a whole hell of a lot less work (and a few extra vitamins to boot) wasn’t a bad thing. The roasting only adds a subtle flavor to the finished product, but enough so that it’s just noticeable. I like to “cook” off some of the extra liquid anyway, and the roasting helped.

This was my first year doing Romas (or any tomatoes for that matter), and I’ll do them every year now. It’s amazing the price difference one experiences when going outside the city to buy at the site where they’re grown. And, no, “farmers” markets here in Seattle don’t compare. They’ve fully taken advantage of the cost of living and prices are outrageous. I don’t fault them for it - get it while you can - but, I’ll go elsewhere.

I bought that whole 26-lb. box, three large jack-o-lantern pumpkins, some other veggies, a few decorative gourds…all for $31. We went to visit my folks where I grew up just outside of Yakima, WA and went to a vegetable grower about 2 miles away. It’s owned by a Filipino family, 3rd generation now. Ridiculously good stuff if you don’t mind no frills, and prices are awesome. They also grow some pretty amazing corn earlier in the summer.

That reminds me I grabbed several pounds of hatch chiles when the season hits @1.25/lb and roast them into a salsa verde for canning. Cannot wait to pop one!

Imperial’s? Krueger’s Pepper Farm is nearby & they have great canning tomatoes too (as well as about 50 kinds of peppers).

Imperials! You nailed it!

Great stuff up thread y’all!

For me not as much as in years past, timing and small crop plus sunburn. Just some garden tomatoes (roma, early girl, sun gold), a few jars of lemon cucumber pickles, and a jar of spicy green beans for ski season bloody marrys.

This years harvest of wine grapes directly overlapped the best part of the season so we ate loads of caprese and pasta as opposed to putting as much away. I have been trading more this year for others items, hot sauce, honey (my bees are not producing yet), fruit preserves, etc.

I want my sauce to enhance my foods flavors not mask them. [wink.gif]

Brian - it looks gorgeous. What happens to the skins of the whole garlic cloves?

Once it was roasted I squeezed the bulbs out of the skins, removed the skins from the tomatoes and the green stem tops from the peppers. Eveything else went under the hand blender.

Must give this a try. Thanks!

Bump
We’re at our wee humble condo in FL for the holidays; strawberries, green beans, tomatoes, sweet corn, etc. are beautiful right now. We’re heading out to buy a pressure canner.
Feel free to pile on with tips.

I’ll do marmalade when Honeybells are ready in Jan.

No vote for canned wine?