Type 2 diabetes reversed in UK diet trials

Apparently 50% of patients had their type 2 diabetes reversed with a 5 month liquid diet:

I think all you have to do is lose weight. How you lose the weight doesn’t really matter.

Not true. Went from 6 feet 1 inch 215 lbs to 170 lbs over 7 yrs and still type 2.

Robert, studies I’ve seen suggest that the weight loss needs to be more rapid, which somehow triggers a response. More gradual loss like you describe may not do it (and I don’t think it’s anything like 100% effective, even for rapid weight loss).

Have you eliminated sugar from your diet? That is more important than the weight. Do you partake in regular exercise of any kind? With your current body habitus those items alone should preclude type II. I say this with genuine interest.

There is also a small segment of the type 2 population that has insulin resistance. This is not caused by weight or inactivity. It is a small subsection of the group and is treated with medication.

One word: fasting.

Check out Intermittent Fasting and Eat.Stop.Eat.

Alain

I have read similar instances. In addition, a ketogenic diet.

Between all these things, weight control, sugar control, exercise, and modified diet, it appears there is strong evidence that much of type II can be alleviated and that is a huge relief. It is one of the biggest problems our healthcare system will face.

People have reversed diabetes on a low fat (no oil), whole food, plant based diet. You can google things from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (Dr. Neil Barnard), Dr. John McDougall, Forks Over Knives, Dr. Michael Greger’s Nutrition Facts site and some others.