Is expensive copper cookware worth it

Thinking about investing in high end copper pan, probably saute pan. Part of me wants it just because its such a nice object but then of course it must be practical, so some questions

Does the copper make a lot of difference ?

Stainless lined or silver lined ? silver is very expensive but looks awesome

Anyone ever spent the $400-$1000 for one pan ? are you happy ?

Any other comments, none needed about how its a first world problem

Go to a good restaurant-supply store. No need to spend that much.

I can’t say if copper is better or not, but I have never once regretted buying the all-clad cookware I have now. That plus a good cast iron and a good le creuset style dutch oven provide all I could ask for out of cookware and have never disappointed.

edit- and I should say I have had them now for 6 years and they are low maintenance and virtually indestructible.

For either low-heat simmering or high-heat quick searing, the extra conductivity of copper over cast iron or stainless is immaterial. So long as the vessel is uniformly heavy-gauge metal, its evenness and retention of heat will be fine.

Other than that, must be nice to be rich. [grin.gif]

We bought a considerable amount of 3 mm copper cookware in Villadieu in France in 1986. It still looks like new and is simply fantastic! Truthfully, I have not seen that level of copper available in the US but I could not recommend ours highly enough.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Nope, just pretty. They look great on a floating shelf :slight_smile:

E Dehillerin in Paris still sells 3mm, ill be in Paris in a couple of weeks and that prompted the idea. Do you have the stainless lined or tin lined, is it robust or do you have to be delicate with it in terms of heat and searing etc ?

My wife and I bought extra fort tin-lined copper pots and pans 35 years ago from Dehillerin. They are all going strong.

Copper provides superior response times
Cast Iron provides superior heat retention

If you buy one of each: $400 for one and $40 for the other your average is pretty solid for two pieces which will last a lifetime if you treat them well.

But, Victor has a good point. Restaurant supply stores are a great option for much of this until you’re confident of exactly how you cook and treat your pots and pans.

Frankly, I’m a big fan of stuff like De Buyer mineral pans.

What I’m no longer a fan of are sets. I think your kitchen should have a series of options.

Little bit surprised that you don’t think so. I’ve got a 2.5mm mauviel 10.5in frying pan lines with stainless that I use all the time and that thing is absolute magic. Super responsive to the flame going high or low and really even heating throughout the entire pan leaving no cold or hot spots. I’ve got some mauviel carbon steel pans that I also really like but this takes the cake.

I have read enough about the materials and construction to come to the conclusion that a well designed stainless piece is just as effective. Those are not cheap either but are 1/4 to 1/2 the cost. I have copper pieces and they are super nice and work well, but there is no denying you can get the same result from stainless, just a fact. Conductivity and materials can be quantified easily, so comparisons can be objective. The far bigger impact here is the heat source all things being equal.

I’ve been tempted to buy a copper frying pan because it’s pretty, but I cannot find any good reason to justify the cost. I think copper pans are past the point of diminishing returns in fancy cookware.

I don’t see any diminishing returns in good cookware, especially stuff that will outlast us. A top notch $200 copper pan is nothing when you consider that you are probably willing to spend north of that on a meal for two out at a nice restaurant. That’s how I justify all my expensive equipment and part of the reason I don’t eat out [snort.gif]

That is why I rarely eat out anymore, except at my place.

I have stainless clad copper and aluminum cookware. The copper out performs. It is a joy to cook in my copper pots. These pots are work horses and have never been polished. I couldn’t care less that they are tarnished. My only regret is not collecting the copper when I was younger, as they are a lifetime investment. If you choose to buy, do be sure to choose a product that is at least 2.5mm thick copper.

QUOTE My wife and I bought extra fort tin-lined copper pots and pans 35 years ago from Dehillerin. They are all going strong. QUOTE
—Mark

Alan: They are extremely robust. Diana uses them constantly and we have a 22,000 BTU stove. WE use them for both high and low heats. We have never had them relined and Diana believes that they are nickel lined. We have had them for over 30 years and they have been flawless.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Thanks

I have a choice of Dehillerin or the 2.5 mm Mauviel, any thoughts ?

We have the all-clad copper cores. Are they better than option {x}? I don’t know. I also don’t care. Why don’t I care? Because I love them to death. I have exactly zero — Z - E - R - O — regrets buying them. I also beat the hell outta my pans, and they take it in stride. The fact that they come with a lifetime warranty is pretty great, too, but I highly doubt I’ll ever have to take the manufacturer up on that.

I came this close to buying the wok when I saw it in TJ Maxx a few weeks ago for $200.00, but then I talked myself out of it because (1) I don’t use my wok all that often, (2) the wok I have is fine, and (3) I could buy 5 - 10 brand new woks for the same price. The fact that I actually walked around in the store for awhile with that product in my cart should give you a good indication of just how much I love them.

A friend recently gave me a Bourgeat 9 1/2" copper casserole which he no longer used. I love it but would never have considered buying one. I would have more likely gone with Le Creuset at half the price.

David Leibowitz has a great blog post on his Mauviel factory visit. I’ll most likely pick up a single frying pan and rationalize it as an heirloom than a marginally better cooking utensil.

I believe the All-Clad guys saw the article and invited him out, as he recently posted on a visit to their factory, as well.

Finally, if you want to completely nerd-out, you can see the report out from his visit to Le Creuset, as well.