Everyday dinnerware recommendation needed

My current everyday dinnerware is “Motley Crew Brand.” An empty bottle of 2008 Black Sears Cabernet did a half gainer with a twist off the counter into my dishwasher last night, smashing a bunch of my remaining small plates. I don’t think I have 3 large plates that actually match. I’m considering buying some new stuff. Any recommendations? I would like service for 8 so that I don’t have to break out the china (we have three sets of that) just because my kids stopped in to get a roast beef fix. I do not like especially curved plates or plates with very high ridges because I find they make cutting steak a PITA. I do not need teacups and saucers. I prefer bowls for salad that will double as a soup bowl. Since we have three sets of china collected over the years for fancy dinners, cheap but durable is key.

Take look at Crate and Barrel. We have a set and fill in with some of the basic white stuff

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/dinnerware-collections/roulette-dinnerware/

We recently invested in some Pillivuyt French Porcelain dinnerware from Williams Sonoma. We are very happy with all of the pieces thus far and they are oven/dishwasher/microwave safe. The last set we got a Sur La Table for our wedding turned out not to be microwave safe which is a deal breaker for us.

I’m very happy with the quality from Villeroy & Boch. I’d had the same set for 12 years and not one chip or scratch. I use them twice a day and for the last 6 years, so has my daughter. They look brand new.

They are often on sale at Macy’s or online prices seem similar if you can find a deal on an older pattern.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This

Jules spent years working in the china dept. She knows her stuff. Her advice is to go with a good quality porcelain china even for everyday. It’s harder so it chips less. Unlike stoneware, your forks won’t leave marks. It’s not porous so it won’t stain. And unless it has metal trim it’s dishwasher/microwave safe. It’s a little more money up front, but you won’t replace it nearly as much.

She’s a fan of villeroy and boch. She has three Villeroy&Boch sets, and We use their foglia pattern all of the time
E837FDA0-FCEF-4EFE-A5C2-8174809A4A79.jpeg
. She says, based on her experience, V&B seems tougher than Noritake and Lenox.

Williams Sonoma open kitchen dinnerware collection is also porcelain and is a bit cheaper. Fewer options for pieces maybe tho. No personal experience, but she was tempted.

Here’s an article that she agrees with.

PM me for her Cel/email if you want to talk china. You sat next to her in Chicago a few years back.

2 Likes

nice to hear the background on why my V&B seem so indestructible.

Jay,
What does your wife want?

No chance in hell I choose dishes in my house.

All that will remain after the apocalypse are cockroaches and Corelle plates.

This 2.0. I like white because it allows the food colors to stand out and they look “clean” in a table setting. They’re not exciting, but it’s just an everyday dinner service. Also, at around 13 years in, they really seem to resist showing any wear from fork scratching, dishwasher dulling, etc.

My cheap ass ikea plates from 9 years ago still rocking strong.

1 Like

Were they difficult to assemble?

1 Like

Fiestaware. Add a little color to your life.

Another recommendation for Crate and Barrel. We are really happy with their basic white Aspen line. They look great after many years of daily use and Crate and Barrel has kept the pattern around for a long time, allowing us to expand the set last year. Prices are great as well.

We have Fiestaware coffee mugs. I like the colorful row of mugs amidst the sea of white dishes. Coffee is black, so the color is a nice contrast. However, I really don’t like colorful plates with food. I know, I know, FWP.

[thumbs-up.gif]

We settled on Mikasa Bone China at Home Goods. Very cheap. Plain white. Cost less than cheap dishes at Amazon. $10.50 a place setting, but you have to be lucky. It’s not like they have a lot of stock. we got 9 big plates, 8 small plates and 4 bowls.

We have Emile Henry in different colours. It used to be easy to find but here in Canada it seems to have disappeared. I can’t remember ever breaking a single piece.

Not cheap but indestructible and fantastic. Lots of high end restaurants use their plates and bowls.

If I lived in NYC, I would be at Fishs Eddy every week.