Flannery Wagyu Pave - ok for grill??

My absolute FAVORITE meat Flannery has ever sold are those 6 oz. Wagyu Pave steak-ettes. Previously I was searing all sides then oven finishing, but the oils (in the pan and what melts from the meat) just STINK up the house for a couple of days, so I"m sort of ‘not allowed’ to cook it indoors anymore. Short of shelling out $5000 for an outdoor oven, is it possible to do on the grill? If so, should I use my steel pan and prepare it on the outdoor stovetop (searing) then use the grill for ‘oven finish’? I’ll also be preparing Shortloin Tail and Hanger at the same time, and both of those are perfect for standard open-top grilling, so I’m not sure I can get the ‘oven finish’ constant 350 degrees.

Any help from you far-more-experienced grillers is appreciated

why don’t you start it in the oven at a low heat then sear on the grill? Low heat won’t smell up the house.

Otherwise yes, just stick it in your grill, indirect heat and cook to desired temp with lid closed.

Please read above on why you should slow heat first then sear.

So I can keep my steel pan in the closed grill heating up to however hot it will go, heat the steaks low and slow in the oven, then sear outside in the pan? Or sear right on the grill?

sear on grill direct. Don’t worry about yo pan. One less thing to clean.

I’ll have to clean the plan I use for the steaks in the oven…but good to know about direct on grill

I agree that’s a great cut of beef. Best I’ve had from Bryan and co. I reverse seared, in the house. A bit smokey, yes.

#microwave

George

1 Like

Can I microwave it in a Ziploc?

if you’re starting low and slow, use a sheet pan covered in foil and roast on a rack…then direct on the grill.

1. Buy a sous vide, set it to 120, get the beef warm. Then, hot grill, sear for 15 seconds per side…do all 6 sides.

2. Meat at room temperature. Directly on grill, 90-120 seconds per side, using only the two ‘main’ sides.

This is one great cut of meat.

I’ve been waiting 2 years now on my sous vide from Anova…stupid crowdfunded product

I love these cuts and glad I picked up a decent amount of 8 oz. ones during Berserker Days.

I’ve done these twice and both turned out amazing. No big secret.

Season with salt, pepper, and EVOO. Get somewhat to room temp.

Indirect at about 200 degrees until internal temp is at 110 (medium rare, but can go a bit higher because of the meat’s marbling). I put these on their side. After reaching 110, I cover them up and crank up the grill.

Once at 500 or so, sear each side a total of 90 to 100 seconds, turning 90 degrees for the cross hatch marks.

Great char that provides an amazing contrast to the richy goodness inside.

Enjoy!!

I am all out and see that the 8 oz. cuts are sold out. Cross fingers that Bryan will have a sale soon on the 8 oz. steaks.

Tom

I liked the flavor of the Wagyu Pave cut but that was more fat than I wanted to eat as a straight-up cut of beef.
I ended up slicing it super thin (partially frozen) and using it in Pho.
IMG_0761.JPG
Just put my slice beef in a bowl with rice noodles and poured the Pho over the beef and noodles. The beef cooked with the melted fat adding a richness to the Pho broth. And no smokey meat smell in the house.
IMG_0762.JPG
I know that is not what you asked but I didn’t want to start a new thread.

A special anova?
Because aren’t there tons of these on amazon already?

Can confirm they’ve been out for a bit, got one on sale from them about a year ago.

Todd, if you backed them and haven’t received anything yet I’d reach out to them again to figure out what’s up. I’ve had similar problems with backing other projects and slipping between the cracks

So long as you wrap the ziploc in aluminum foil first.

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!

I remember my wife and i did hot pot (shabu shabu) at home one night and I completely forgot to get beef at the market. Had a Ribeye from Flannery in my freezer so sliced that baby thin and we ate it. So good.

Great idea!

We love this cut to, but some how my 3 year old gets most of it every time we get out “and Evan sized steak”.