Calgary, Banff, & Jasper Restaurant help

We’ll be spending just over a week in Alberta and I was hoping to mine the collective wisdom here for restaurant ideas.

We are probably not too interested in high end dining, but somewhat upscale is fine, given there will be nine of us, including kids. There are no vegetarians, gluten-resistant or non-adventurous eaters in the group. We have two nights in Calgary, two nights in Canmore and three nights in Jasper.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve been in Alberta, but I always remember the Grizzly House in Banff as being a place that kids and adults would enjoy. Lots of exotic meats. Good Canadian wines.

We also liked the Maple Leaf in Banff. I can’t remember the names of other places we went, it’s been too long.

I was up there a couple of summers ago and there are recommendations over on the travel board. My overall impressions was the quality of food was very good in both Banff and Jasper with Jasper being more rustic. You’re in for a fantastic trip and drive on the Icefields Parkway and be sure to fill up before jumping on the Parkway since there is only one spot or so to stop and gas up.

The most interesting culinary experience I had in either of those places was in Banff. We hiked up to the Lake Agnes Tea House on a miserable day (my kids were 7 and 5) in the rain and mud. Best tasting coffee and cookies I’ve ever had in my life.

I honestly don’t remember much noteworthy food-wise. We ate out of the back of our SUV a bunch of the time (coleman stove and cooler). I do remember having decent wood fire pizza in Jasper. But the food is a joke compared to the scenery.

My son Josh is working as a chef at the Park Distillery in Banff, http://www.parkdistillery.com . I haven’t eaten there but he tells me it’s pretty good!
If you get to Lake Louise the restaurant at the Lake Louise Inn is very good and the wine list is excellent.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

The restaurant at The Post Hotel at Lake Louise is special…great food and awesome wine list

I had wrongly called this Hotel ‘The Lake Louise Inn’ in my earlier post. It was the Post Hotel that I meant and not the Inn.

Post Hotel was fantastic when we visited.

We had a memorable dinner at Chateau Lake Louise with an awesome view the length of the lake to the mountains.

I worked in Calgary a few years ago. A nice place to eat was River Cafe in Prince’s Island Park.

Another place we went to quite a bit during the week was a wine bar on 8th Avenue, but not sure if it’s still there.

Best meal for us in banff was (I) a random b&b with fresh salmon in the cedar plank in their bench table — I can still taste it, and (II) packed a nice cab and cheese / salami picnic, did a light hike with great views, put on iPhone light cello — I remember that one as well.

Best meal for us in banff was (I) a random b&b with fresh salmon in the cedar plank in their bench table — I can still taste it, and (II) packed a nice cab and cheese / salami picnic, did a light hike with great views, put on iPhone light cello — I remember that one as well.

You can say that again!

I was kidding.

I asked my son (who works as a chef at Park Distillery in Banff ) for some advice on eating in Banff and this is what he wrote;

"Hi Dad,

I think you’re in the air right now, so I guess you’ll see this when you see this…

Juniper Bistro - Great food with an emphasis on locally sourced ingredients and house made products. It’s also got one of the best views you can get from a restaurant in Banff.

Sky Bistro - Head up the Banff Gondola to the top of Sulphur mountain (a trip worth making in it’s own right) to Sky Bistro, enjoy one of the more upscale restaurants that Banff has to offer with a view that is truly hard to beat. (reservations recommended)

The Bear Street Tavern - Located on Bear Street in downtown Banff, this restaurant (known as the “Tavern”, or simply “Tav” by locals) is a great casual spot to go to if great thin crust pizzas is what you’re after. (Alternatively, "High Rollers also has really good pizzas, and a massive beer list that is sure to satisfy any cravings for suds. And they have bowling there as well, so… you know… bowling)

Eden - Located in the Rimrock resort, Eden offers a French influenced menu that always gets terrific reviews and feedback. (Really supposedly a great place for a meal). This is a place in Banff that is widely respected among other kitchens and chefs.

Park Distillery - Located right in the middle of Banff Ave. A great place for folks of all ages. Casual, fun and vibrant atmosphere. Probably the best place in Banff for cocktails. The bars are stocked with award winning house made spirits (they also offer free distillery tours during the day). And trust me, the drinks are great.
The kitchen has options for just about anyone, from burgers and hand pulled chicken sandwiches, to steaks and fish grilled on the open flame wood grill that give the great smokiness that we love with our food. (Reservations are highly recommended as the place is one of the busiest in town, especially on weekends)

Other spots worth checking out:

Bison
The Maple Leaf
Saltlik
La Terrazza

I hope this helps

Josh"

To update this old thread, just got back from a trip to Banff. It was very crowded with tourists.

Great cocktails at Park Distillery. Juniper Bistro was disappointing, the wild boar was basically sushi. Disappointing but the view was good.

Chuck’s Steakhouse was great. Good cocktails and service, great steaks.

The Bison was fine, very good Bison Ribeye, pretty good cocktails.

In Jasper ate at Syrahs. Very nice staff and pretty good food.

All Canadian winelists at some of these restaurants which is not a high point.

The drive from Banff to Jasper is epic. One of our most spectacular and awe inspiring travel experiences.

Loved the onion tart and the biscuits, especially the biscuits. It’s a great place to go after a day of hiking over 25K steps on the various trails near Jasper.

The drive on the Icelands Parkway is holy sh%T epic. Going to figure out how to get back there again sooner than later…

We’re headed back to Banff/Yoho/Jasper, etc. for the fourteenth time this September.

Food (other than as calories to replenish after the hikes) has never been a priority, but The Bison has always been good. Lots of really good places closed post 2008 crisis. It’s a very different town now than it was back then. There are some good places in Canmore as well. My wife and I always enjoy Rocky Mountain Flatbread. Good pizzas and local beer on tap. Syrahs in Jasper is indeed good. Fiddle River Seafood in Jasper is enjoyable as well.

There last month. In Calgary enjoyed Teatro. In LL The Post. We then spent a few days at Moraine Lodge and dined there…but you have to stay there to eat. All were wonderful. All but The Post welcomed outside wines.