Why sous vide?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mel Hill

Re: Why sous vide?

#251 Post by Mel Hill » February 6th, 2020, 10:18 am

We went thru a 8 oz bag of sodium citrate 11g at a time and my son does not love the MC "silky Mac and cheese" For me, it really depends on the cheese mix.

Just made the SE SV chicken wings and they were great, and I'll make them again.

TimF

#252 Post by TimF » February 6th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 10:18 am
We went thru a 8 oz bag of sodium citrate 11g at a time and my son does not love the MC "silky Mac and cheese" For me, it really depends on the cheese mix.

Just made the SE SV chicken wings and they were great, and I'll make them again.
I think I posted on your FB pic that you inspired me to cook my Super Bowl wings SV. The gelatin that came out of the juice was ridiculous. Set up at room temperature in almost no time. I did them at 160F for two hours and only had an hour or so of drying time in the fridge. You can rip through so many in the fryer since it only takes 3 minute or so. They were much more juicy and tender than frying alone IMO. I guess I need to try to do more with SV. I was just so turned off with steak that I about abandoned it.
Tim F@itsch

brianlouie79
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by brianlouie79 » March 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Did six dry aged strips Friday night in the sous vide. Finished them over charcoal via the Weber kettle. Temp on the grill grate was 600*.

Only issue I had was my stock pot was a little small. What pot or bin is everyone using?
Don't think anyone's added this one yet. I have an Anova, so I use this little cooler and cut a hole in the lid with a 2 3/8 hole saw. The Anova fits perfectly in the hole. If you plan to use this on a kitchen counter top, make sure you drill your hole in the corner works best with your cord/outlet location.

Cooler:

Hole saw:

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#254 Post by Nola Palomar » March 6th, 2020, 4:39 am

brianlouie79 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Did six dry aged strips Friday night in the sous vide. Finished them over charcoal via the Weber kettle. Temp on the grill grate was 600*.

Only issue I had was my stock pot was a little small. What pot or bin is everyone using?
Don't think anyone's added this one yet. I have an Anova, so I use this little cooler and cut a hole in the lid with a 2 3/8 hole saw. The Anova fits perfectly in the hole. If you plan to use this on a kitchen counter top, make sure you drill your hole in the corner works best with your cord/outlet location.

Cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/

Hole saw:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRR0NJ2/
Welcome Brian! Cool idea!! [wow.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Stephan L Bardes

#255 Post by Stephan L Bardes » March 6th, 2020, 3:18 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 9:42 am
OHHH: Look at that!

(167-degrees x 13 min)

This egg just look amazing.
I've tried a few times eggs but I've been disappointed. I tried a few different temps or time but they always came out a bit over.
And frankly I thought the traditional method yields better results.

I will try your temp and cooking time next time I make poached eggs and will report back...

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » March 6th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Stephan L Bardes wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 3:18 pm
This egg just look amazing.
I've tried a few times eggs but I've been disappointed. I tried a few different temps or time but they always came out a bit over.
And frankly I thought the traditional method yields better results.

I will try your temp and cooking time next time I make poached eggs and will report back...
The texture of the white is what usually throws some people off, since it is definitely more delicate than a traditional poached egg (not so apparent in the video). But that makes it perfect as a saucy topping for pasta, etc.

The 75-degree (167°F) x 13 min egg technique I used is originally from Ideas in Food's 2010 cookbook (kinda laughable that America's Test Kitchen now claims they invented it last year). The key is consistency: the size, grade, age and starting temp of the eggs all make a difference. So get a dozen eggs and try varying the time a bit to find what works for you, and then stick with those eggs and time. After ~13 min, put the egg in cold water for 30 seconds to make them easy to handle, and then crack on a slotted spoon on a paper towel to drain any loose whites (minimized by using fresh AA eggs). I usually use Eggland's Best XL AA, which supposedly get to the store sooner after laying than other brands.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/75-c-egg

I just did 10 to plate over pasta for a dinner party and to make things easier, after 13 min I drained the bath, added cold water to stop cooking, then turned on the circulator to 130°F to hold the eggs until serving. Worked like a charm.

I can also crank these out almost as fast as a traditional poached egg, since my Joule can heat a very low volume water bath to 167°F in about 3 minutes.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#257 Post by davidkong » March 7th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Of all the things I love for sous-vide, steak is not one of them. I think it is the only one...chicken/pork/salmon all excellent with sous vide. Steak given crust necessary is hard with sous vide.
Glasvin (40% off with code WINEBERSERKERS)
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

Steve Manzi DBA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Steve Manzi DBA » March 8th, 2020, 8:49 am

davidkong wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 7:23 pm
Of all the things I love for sous-vide, steak is not one of them. I think it is the only one...chicken/pork/salmon all excellent with sous vide. Steak given crust necessary is hard with sous vide.
Try icing the steaks down throughout the thickness. Then, broil them with some butter painted on each side a few times. I've been doing that lately and it works better than anything I have tried. Need a decent thickness on the steak.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#259 Post by davidkong » March 10th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 8:49 am
davidkong wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 7:23 pm
Try icing the steaks down throughout the thickness. Then, broil them with some butter painted on each side a few times. I've been doing that lately and it works better than anything I have tried. Need a decent thickness on the steak.
Steve I couldn't agree more.
I buy steaks in bulk (ideally a lot on discount!), put into freezer, and deep-fry, then I put into oven to slowcook (I assume this last part you can replace with a sous-vide for similar results). Life's too short for thin steak!
Glasvin (40% off with code WINEBERSERKERS)
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

Steve Manzi DBA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Steve Manzi DBA » March 11th, 2020, 4:54 am

David,

Just to be clear, I mean that I sous vide the steak, THEN ice it down and then broil it. After reading my post again, it seemed confusing.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#261 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 19th, 2020, 5:58 am

Sous vide Greek yogurt:
1) Pour 800g whole milk into 1 quart wide mouth Ball canning jar and seal lid
2) Put in sous vide bath starting at low temp ~110°F to avoid cracking due to temp shock
3) Ramp to 185°F; let go for 1 hour at final temp
4) Remove and let cool to 109°F on counter
5) Add 40g Fage 5% milkfat Greek yogurt and mix using stick blender (can add flavors at this point)
6) Seal and put back into sous vide bath at 109°F for 5 hours
7) Result will be moderately thick. But if you like it thicker, dump contents in Chemex coffee filter/carafe and returned to fridge for 2-8 hr to drain whey; will loose 25-50% of volume
8) Voila: Greek yogurt!
Attachments
IMG_8786.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”