Cast iron: Butter Pat or Finex?

I am looking to buy a 12 inch skillet and can’t decide between the two. Actually thinking about buying a 10 inch of each instead. Does anyone have experience with either or both?

Don’t have experience with these brands, but I will say that I always used my 12 inch far more than my 10.

Pricey!! Check out www.wagnerware.com

get an antique Lodge

I had a terrible experience with Finex. The pan performed terribly on the first use and ended up flaking very quickly. There was definitely something wrong with the casting. Customer service wasn’t particularly helpful. I’d check out blanc creatives. The pans are carbon steel rather than cast iron, but that makes the care much easier and they cook beautifully - like vintage cast iron that was much thinner than modern cast iron pans. I love Alan’s suggestion of a vintage pan, but stick with Griswold if you want a high performer (or my favorite, Wapak, but those are pricey and are likely to require a little maintenance to get them in shape to use).

Check out Soldteknics as well, wrought iron, low carbon steel one piece pans. I have the shot peened one and it is fantastic and way lighter and easy to use compared to my Lodge pan.

http://www.solidteknics.com/solid-products2/

This to me is the best. Antique Griswold if you can find it is fabulous.

Cast iron is not a great conductor. So if you get a pan that is bigger than your burner (probably 10") it’s going to be a pain to get the edges heated up evenly unless you want to heat it in the oven or heat it really slow and move around a lot. Love my 10 inch lodge cast iron but for bigger pans I stick to something with a better conducting core.

Despite being local to me, I do not like the Finex. The handles and the shape are seen awkward to me. I have been happy with a Smithey.

I agree on the 10 inch- In part due to heat conduction, but also in large part due to weight. 12 inch pans are really heavy and unwieldy when only one hand is available.

Edit Never mind. Was thinking 12 and 14. I use the 12 most

Thanks. The Smithey was on the short list as well. From what little info I could find, seemed very similar to the Butter Pat which the wife was more interested in. Do you bake in your Smithey as well. One reason the wife was interested in the finex was for rolls, cornbread and frittatas.

+1

For those recommendations of antique, what about it makes it superior to the newer products?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/amp20705850/vintage-cast-iron-pans/

Thanks and that makes perfect sense wrt the pan I am replacing but not with the pans that I am looking to buy. The pans I asked about are more akin to the vintage pans. The Butter Pat to which I am really leaning now is a lighter, thinner, smooth pan as described in the link as the benefits of vintage. In fact the Butter Pat 12 inch is lighter than the Smithey 10 inch.

Not picking on you David, three people responded with the go vintage approach but I can’t see the perfomance difference between vintage and these artisan pans. The downside of going vintage however are finding a good pan and then what care will it need to restore it. It just seems easier and safer to go with a new pan but I will admit it does come with a higher price.

I have a couple carbon steel plan already but not one of these. I like them and may go this route in the future as I do seem to collect pans. But this is an upgrade over a cheap/poor quality cast iron and I want to stay with cast iron for now.

I purchased this last year and it has been great. Nice to have the lighter weight. Not yet as non-stick as my 15 year old cast-iron but getting better over time.

I bought the 12 inch Butter Pat and love it. Yes it’s a bit awkward for one hand and the handle could be longer but it’s not that bad for me and is fine for the wife when using the helper handle. Weight is good as it’s not too heavy and the pan is really smooth. Have used it four times so far for Pork Chops, crusting some steaks, frying potato latkes, and a frittata. Great for all of them and shocked that the frittata slid right out. Cleans up easy as well. Will see how it holds up.

Just wondering why I don’t hear anything about Le Creuset. On cooking programs, see this used a lot. Is something wrong with them?

I think they tend to chip easily and you are paying more for the brand name (my impression)