Iodine Free Diet

My daughter in law must eat as little iodine as possible for two weeks, after which she will have radioactive iodine treatments to destroy the residue of her thyroid after successful thyroid cancer surgery. We have the information from the dietitian about what is allowed and not allowed, but I have my doubts about some of the recommended items because they are prepared foods that list salt as an ingredient (e.g., Sabra Hummus). I am emailing the companies that produce the prepared foods to get more information, but I wonder whether any of you have experience with this regimen and might have some useful suggestions. I plan to cook her a lot of dinners and freeze them myself, but I would appreciate any useful hints.

Please send my best wishes for a fast, full recovery.

I would not rely heavily on any responses which manufacturers might send. Cooking and seasoning from scratch would seem the best route, especially as the two weeks is only a limited time span.

Freezing will be the best way to preserve the cooked food, as salting would introduce the risk of iodine intake.

I am planning on cooking from scratch, but there are some ingredients that just won’t work even for that. Who knew that egg yolks were high in iodiine?

Vegetarian seems the main route. Beans for protein.

Best wishes !

NED nailed it.

Best wishes to your daughter, Jay!

I had already seen the Thyca site. I think there is a bit too much pop culture bullshit and this is an issue where I hope for rigorous scientific truth.