Favorite Paprika, anyone?

Anyone have a favorite paprika that is easily available. I am looking for a sweet, non-smoked paprika. I was always a fan of the Szeged in the red metal box, but only by default because I’ve been buying it for decades. I’ve tried lots of others that are OK (a couple from Penzys and from Spice and Teas), but nothing earth shaking. Does anyone have a must-have suggestion? What kind and where can I get it.

I do not use a lot. Occasional Goulash and smoked pastrami, along with adding some to cole slaw, deviled eggs and tuna salad.

I’m still looking. Tired most of the same ones you have and feel the same way.

I haven’t tried this yet, but I was walking through the Spice House here in Chicago last week and noticed that their Hungarian paprika looked beautiful - a beautiful red/orange.

Have not been there in a while but my son and I always loved hitting The Spice House and picking up a load of great spices and discussing what we would cook with them. Lately have just ordered online and not disappointed. Always fresh and high quality.

I use the Spice House sweet Hungarian Paprika for my chicken paprikash and it never disappoints. I love there spices in general and happily can walk there whenever I need.

I use Spice House as well for my paprikash as well as various bbq rubs. I order most of my spices from them and if you order enough, it is cheaper than store bought and you get free shipping.

Jay,
I received a gift from Lou Kapcsandy of the Szeged ,he’s Hungarian ,so I’d guess he knows the best ? [bow.gif]

that’s what we use. Great steak rub made by them also.

Nola at last years BDay had the Chiquilin brand Sweet Paprika, Smoked Paprika and Hot Paprika.
I bought the Smoked and the Hot, both of which are very good. They provide a nice depth of flavor.

jay you have local access to perhaps the greatest spice store in america at kalustyans on lex ave. they have many different paprikas.

Thanks. Never been there, and my wine dinner tonight is only 7 blocks away. I think I will stop in.

Great store. I dropped $50 on spices there last night. Paprika, three kinds of peppercorns, cardamom and cumin seeds. Bought the large bags for the volume savings, but I passed on the 5 pound bag of green Cardamom pods.

Best sweet paprika I ever had I bought in bulk in a spanish market. Would love to find anything remotely that good again.

Good call on Kalustyans. Next time go to Kailash Prabat (?spelling?) for a couple chaat appetizers, then Saravana Bhavan (?spelling?) for south indian mini ghee idlis and then Bhatti Grill for the kebabs. Can make a day of it. [training.gif]

I like La Dalia.

While all spices fade, few do as fast as paprika. I’d aim for smaller containers. I like Szeged, but often throw out half a box (we use paprika a lot, but more smoked than hot or sweet).
I got some of Nola P’s smoked as part of a BerserkerDay package, very good, so I’d assume the non-smoked is good as well.
Kalustyans is great, just love the smell of the store, but don’t think I ever got paprika there (usually more Indian spices). Will try.
For general use I also like the half-sharp Penzeys,
Actually since you are in Westchester a good option is Yaranush. The paprikas are good (and cheap), but seem to fade even faster than Szeged.

My favorite.

Bourbon Smoked Paprika. by far my favorite.

at Spice House, i see they offer Flat Packs…does anyone order them like this? do you find it more convenient for storage? Do they stay fresher for a longer period of time? just curious overall.

I have recently branched out after discovering the wide variety of paprika at Kalyustan in Manhattan. I have four different kinds at home - smoked and not, sweet and hot. I use depending on the specific flavor I want. E.g., smoked hot for a BBQ rub and sweet not hot for goulash.