Casual hot sauce & mustard recommendation

I would recommend trying Marie Sharps hot sauce. We went to Belize and picked up many bottles to bring back home; was our only souvenir and we ate it at every meal (the food there tends to be quite bland). Turns out its available in the U.S., and I highly recommend grabbing a bottle. To me, this is how Tabasco is meant to be. It has the same vinegary feel, but with a little more sweetness, much more heat, and a thicker pour. They include carrots in the recipe, which is what I think gives off that slight sweetness and more pulpy pour. Our favorites on the trip were the Green Pepper and Fiery Hot versions (there is also mild, hot, and then some fruit flavors we did not try).

A runner up hot sauce recommendation: Baron West Indian Hot Sauce. Hails from St. Lucia. Thicker and with more flavor than Marie Sharps, this is a totally different style and not a Tabasco replacement. Unfortunately out of it right now, so can’t check the ingredient panel. I recall this being with Scotch Bonnets, and I do recall there unfortunately being an additive in there (food coloring I believe).

Finally, Kensington’s Mustard in the grocery aisle. It is not the best mustard we’ve ever had (sadly, I have spent hours trying to identify the grainy picture of the #1 that I took in Paris – but its too blurry). But it is finally something we can order at our local grocer, has wide distribution, and it hits on the right spots with a little freshness and a little bite on the back end. Prefer this to the other 4-5 brands we’ve tried over the past months. We love the ketchup, and I’m impressed with the direction they went with the mustard (it is P&G after all, although they acquired it in 2017).

Just tossing these out there…

Nice reco’s, Sh@n (not sure if you’re going for an “a” or an “o” there…). I’ll keep an eye out for Marie Sharps…sounds like my type.

The Baron stuff is great. First time I tried it I was surprised at how hot it was and thought it would take me forever to get through an 11 ounce bottle. It lasted about a month. I think I went through half the bottle with a pot of oxtail stew.

Everyone who has tried it at our home (all 3), have asked where to get it. We’ve had to even gift one of them a bottle. Between Barons and Marie Sharps, and perhaps Sriracha, I’m not sure I really need another hot sauce in the house. Of course, I have another ten different ones in the cabinet/fridge…

For a casual mustard (and dirt cheap) Trader Joe’s Dijon is hard to beat.

I will try to hunt down Baron-sounds great.

1. Marie Sharps and Barons both are on Amazon. Not sure about “relative” pricing to non-online shops, but just a heads up.
  2. Visited a good friend in LA a weekend ago… funny… didn’t know he went to Belize… because he too brought back a couple bottles…

Hot sauces are too many to choose. A few obvious and not so choices:
Hoy Fong Sriracha
Tapatio
Pain is Good Batch #114
Mazi Piri Piri
El Yucateco (red or green)

Mustard?
Edmond Fallot Green Peppercorn or Raiffort depending on the application.

I found both Marie Sharps and Barons in the caribbean as well. They are excellent.

Which Marie Sharps? It seems that there are at least six different ones.

I am a huge fan of Inner Beauty hot sauce. It’s not an all-use sauce as the flavors are a bit different. It’s Caribbean-styled and a melange of flavors. Scotch bonnets, mustard, mango/fruit, etc… it went out of production about five years back, but someone bought the brand and has brought it back recently.
7A49D755-1953-4B49-B80D-2D36A9B78370.jpeg

My favorite Marie sharps are:
Fiery Hot
Mild
Green Habanero Pepper Sauce

Oh, and all things Matouk’s.