Deli Slicer

Does anybody have a deli slicer that works well? Seems like the type of machine that you might have to go very high end for it to actually work, but then might become so cumbersome to take it out and clean ect. Always wanted one but on the fence here.

I have a globe slicer and it works pretty well. You are right about being a pain to clean but when I am slicing a lot it’s totally worth it. I would suggest looking on Craigslist. There is usually a good deal to be had. I got mine for around 150$

Restaurant supply stores sell them used sometimes.

I have a “Chef’s Choice” I got for a gift once. Not sure what model but I think it was in the $150-200 range. It sat in a box in my basement for 3 years or so but I recently brought it out and it’s been working well the few times I’ve used it (steak sandwiches). Can’t say much more than that. Berkel has some home versions at around $500, and then some other small versions suitable for home use at around $1000. They’re much prettier than mine if you’re planning to keep it around the kitchen.

Had a big one and a smaller one. The smaller one was pretty useless as it didn’t have enough power. I only got rid of the big one because we moved and no longer really had the space. Should have figured that out as I do miss it.

The good ones (Hobart, Toledo and some others) are very heavy. I highly recommend a better brand. There are used ones out there. I was in retail grocery and there is a noticeable difference between brands. Yes, they are a pain in the ass to clean especially if you don’t have a large sink. But once you get the hang of it, cleaning isn’t awful.

Another avenue is if you have a good independent grocer in your area they may sell one to you used or order a new one for you with their wholesale discount. I sold new and used equipment on occasion.