Herring

Does anyone have a source for French style cold smoked herring? I know it’s available from Russ & Daughters but the shipping cost is pretty high. I’m wondering if there’s a West Coast source or some good European packaged product.

I’ve found one East European product locally that is not bad but I think it’s a smoke-flavored fish, not really smoked.

You’re sure its smoked herring? Jewish delis in NY usually sell smoked white fish, that may look like herring. And smoked mackerel, either cold or hot depending on season. I do home smoked mackerel, very easy to do and delicious.

Smoked herring is usually a Western Europe staple. Try this link: https://www.amazon.com/MW-Polar-Herring-Kipper-3-53-Ounce/dp/B000KHMWQS/ref=pd_cp_325_1?pd_rd_w=Pmrrp&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=VEZ3ZJ72KNYFNPJJC2M7&pd_rd_r=cb3b9b07-3fcc-11e9-a6ad-055f6f41bc76&pd_rd_wg=g3fgm&pd_rd_i=B000KHMWQS&psc=1&refRID=VEZ3ZJ72KNYFNPJJC2M7

The product you linked is hot smoked, or at least cooked. What I’m looking for is more like the texture of cold smoked salmon or lox. It’s fairly common in France. Here’s Russ & Daughters’ product:

French Herring Fillets by Russ & Daughters - Goldbelly?

Never had smoked herring, so I am kind of getting up to speed, like I said I grew up on smoked white fish, mackerel and lox/sturgeon. Seems that kippers, by definition, is a cold smoked herring, the link I posted above should work. Not sure how to order just one can, though, but if you look for “kippers” locally maybe you can find some.

True uncooked kippers might work, but I think anything in a can has been cooked.

They are COLD smoked, and thus cooked, by definition.

Correct, has to be pasteurized.

Cold smoked is not cooked, it is cured. The difference is substantial.

I love herring, need to try this!

While you’re at it you need to try both pickled herring and schmaltz herring too. Next time you’re out in LA swing into almost any kosher store and they’ll have them. Maybe I have an affinity for them because I grew up eating them but man is it good stuff.

Pickled herring are everywhere. You guys are not helping :slight_smile:

I guess I will have to pay the egregious shipping to try the Russ & Daughters herring. I had a fantastic version at D’Chez Eux a couple years ago and can’t get it off my mind.
EE1CE422-F061-4BE6-96FA-F6CDF401F97F.jpeg

Try finding a Russian deli near you, they usually have most of the herring styles and derivatives, just head over to refrigerator section. They most likely will have herring from a company called Matjes, its a bit less salty and really good, not cold smoked, comes in plastic tubs blue color themed, packed in oil. Vici is OK, but more salty. And if you do happen to be at a Russian deli I am sure they will have a salad called “dressed herring”: potatoes, onion, herring, carrots, beets and some mayo to bind them, when done right its really good, once you see it you’ll understand why its called “under a coat” in Russian. Google “dressed herring”. Not something to go with a wine, either vodka or beer, but delicious nonetheless. German Riesling may work, but I am not sure, or rather, never tried, but then again I am not “wasting” a bottle of JJ Prum or Donhoff on this when I know cold beer is great.

Russian deli just may have kippers as well, I never pay attention since we tend to buy Matjes plastic tubs and go from there. Just find a store near you and ask them if they have cold smoked herring, if need be, they should know.

Just curious at this point, how are you intending to consume cold smoked herring? As is, or part of salad?

Besides herring on its own in many styles, and “under a coat herring” above, I grew up on something called forshmak: herring, boiled potatoes (though most use stale bread soaked in milk and then squeezed), and some apple such as Granny Smith for a sour and sweet notes, all minced and combined, nothing better when spread on dark rye bread and with a cold beer, or ice cold vodka shots.

To be honest, since I do a lot of smoked fish at home, I never paid attention and never actually saw cold smoked herring in a store. Even living in NY for many years and my parents running a Jewish deli on Brighton Beach many a moon ago. Smoked white fish, mackerel, lox (and cold/hot smoked), herring in many forms and salads, but never seen nor heard of a cold smoked herring. Not an Eastern European Jewish food, sorry cannot be of help.

KIPPER, its your only bet. It is what it is, cold smoked herring. Best I can do. Best YOU can do.

This got me intrigued. I do eat the pickled stuff all the time and have easy access a few blocks from home. I will have to head over to Russ and Daughters over the weekend and get the cold smoked stuff. I love that shop.