Need recommendations for places around Detroit

So we hit the road for the last time this season with the US Nationals in Plymouth Michigan. I am looking for great place to eat while there can be in or around this area no more than about 1 hour from Plymouth if possible. This is not about wine or the dining experience but rather great food good pricing would be ok also but just not a chain. Something local and good. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Zimmerman’s is Ann Arbor. Although not “cheap” and a sandwich place. Would downtown Detroit be an option?

Love Zingermann’s and plan on picking up sandwiches from there on the way in. Downtown Detroit would be fine.

If you would be interested in Middle East, which Detroit does extremely well, Phoenicia in Birmingham (more upper end) or Al-Ameer in Dearborn (more casual) would be good choices. Other good options and the contact info for these two restaurants are here The 38 Best Restaurants in Detroit, Winter 2023 - Eater Detroit

If you are short on time and in need of a quick meal, Scotty Simpson’s Fish and Chips does its specialty very well.

Another great specialty place is Mike’s Famous Ham for a world class ham sammich.

An hour gives you all of Detroit, its suburbs, and Ann Arbor. Three places in Plymouth that are very good are:

Let me know if you need more or want to drive further.

All these are great thank you for the suggestion please keep them coming. We have been to Ann Arbor for 3 competitions this year and many in the past so we have a good feel for Ann Arbor I am looking for Detroit and suburbs. Like I said the competition is in Plymouth but I will go to the Lifetime in West Bloomfield to work out, so looking for local suggestions heading east I guess. Also Detroit like Chicago has a bit of reputation. I you actually live here you know that your likelihood of actually encountering any crime or violence is dependent on your actions and awareness so i am not apposed to going to Detroit proper. thanks again in advance please keep the thoughts coming

Can you narrow the type of restaurant you want? Deli, Chinese, Mexican,Italian, Middle East, thincrust or thick crust pizza,BBQ, all come to mind. I live in West Bloomfield. I used to live in Manhattan when it was dangerous. You can go anywhere in Detroit and you will generally be fine.Detroit has become the new Brooklyn in many locations.

Thanks Jim No it maybe a group of us so type of food not really the things as much, for me, great food and drinks reasonable pricing and something i would not have access to in IL. The places you would take out of towner to show off your city with out trying to be stuffy

http://tomatoesapizza.com/ 24369 Halsted Road Farmington - New Haven pizza - my favorite pizza in Michigan

Jennifer’s Cafe 4052 Haggerty Rd, Commerce (http://jenniferscafe.net/) Carrot soup and maurice salad (get it chopped) - this place is nothing to look at, and no atmosphere AT ALL, but good food

No alcohol at either of the above :frowning:

Guernsey Farms Dairy 21300 Novi Rd, Northville, MI (http://www.guernseyfarmsdairy.com/) - if you feel like some ice cream

I’d probably send you to the Earle in Ann Arbor if you are looking for wine with dinner.

Jim - is Slow’s barbecue still good? Not that he’ll be able to get a group in there.

Slows is still good. Slows to go on Cass is much more efficient and has a few seats too.

You got to get a Coney in Detroit!!!

http://www.americanconeyisland.com/home.htm

Not here. Lafayette next door

No thanks . Been there , done that .

I have not been there but Detroit now has a vegan coney island.

I have not been there but Detroit now has a vegan coney island.

Ewwwww

Maybe my wife will try it.

Jim thanks for all the great info had a great time
Sardine room Great
Karl’s Kabin Excellent
French Toast Bistro Really good
also able to hit American and Detroit Ham and corned beef

All were just what was call for so thank you for the direction and the competition was great Took home a bronze medal.

Glad you enjoyed it. We’ll have to try French Toast Bistro one day.
I wish I lived closer to Karl’s and the Sardine room. Great places.