Roasted Short Ribs

So I pulled a dozen short ribs out of the freezer, and since it looks like rain for most of the day here in Jersey tomorrow, I decided to roast them low and slow.

I’ll start with a ground coffee based dry rub, put that on the ribs overnight, and let them sit in the fridge on a rack over a half sheet.

Tomorrow morning, I’ll put them in a roasting pan covered with foil and cook them at 250F convection for 3 or so hours until they’re done.
If I’m lucky and the rain clears off by dinner time, I’ll finish them on the Weber with a little smoke.

Anybody tried this method as opposed to braising?

I do something similar, but on the grill. Spice rub overnight, wrapped in foil, refrigerated overnight, then low and slow on the grill, on a side with no heat, roughly in that same 225-250F range, first rib side down, then turning once or twice over the last 45 minutes or so, still wrapped in foil. Take out of foil, and quick sear over high heat for the last 10 minutes, on both sides, and basting with BBQ sauce (per taste). Roughly 3 hours, start to finish.

Curious why convection if they are foil wrapped? (Serious question) I use convection in situations where I am trying to speed browning but thought it only mattered with open air food

They were not covered for the entire time.

Still took a really long time.

We did just under 4 hours at 250°F, and they weren’t quite done.
Next night I cut the meat off the bones, put them into a small rondeau w/some aji mirin, water and home made BBQ sauce and simmered for 45 mins.
Served it with some sesame cole slaw.