Smoked pork belly ideas, anyone?

I was at Costco today and decided to go with one experiment, so I bought a slab of pork belly. I was thinking I would brine it with honey a spice, or maybe a dry brine for a couple of days, and then smoke it. However, all the recipes I can find are variations on rub in and smoke immediately, then slather on BBQ sauce. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will smoke it on the Big Green Egg. If I can get some good flavor, I may go with it as an appetizer at BF10.2.

I make the momo fuko pork belly and serve it on bao (I buy them) with hoisin, julienned carrots, green onion and cucumber. I love it but a couple of bao are more than enough. More than that and I feel like dying.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/momofuku-pork-belly-50165549/amp

If you want someone to taste test your preparation, I’m available. flirtysmile

I’ve been making bacon using pancetta recipe. Same spice mixture for both, salt pepper, garlic, juniper berries, nutmeg, bay leaf (I use Turkish, way better aromatically), some brown sugar, and thyme. Pink salt for color retention and to keep it healthy. Then cure it for 12-14 days in a zip lock bag, turning once per day. Wash off spices, dry, and smoke at 200F using apple or cherry wood. No bought bacon comes close.

I was never quite sure how to spell trayfe transliterated.

Coincidentally, I was at Costco Saturday and also was tempted by the pork belly. I was going to use my Traeger and I searched and found a recipe for what they called “burnt ends” with the pork belly. Smoked for 2 1/2 hours, then braised for about two more hours, and then smoked/grilled for a few minutes with a glaze. This was the link i found but I improvised a bit on the glaze and I used a mostly brown sugar and five spice rub:

They turned out great!

If you’re not feeling too adventurous, then you can always make bacon with it. I’m assuming you bought the skinless cut.

If you’ve got access to a Business Costco, they’ll have the skin on pork belly usually available. Then you have options to do porchetta (if you also procure a pork loin), or Chinese style roast pork.

Costco selling skinless is why I stick with Asian markets, plus I get to pick pieces I want. About to dry cure bone-in, skin on 4 inch thick piece, for 7-10 days, 8-10 hours of drying, then smoker using alder wood, 200F. Salt, sugar, pepper, pink salt, garlic, allspice, bay leaf and juniper berries.

that sounds amazing!

I’ve been smoking a lot of bacon in the BGE lately, as D’Artagnan has been having flash sales on its whole skin-on Berkshire Bellies. Our favorites thus far are Maple Sugar Cured and Szechuan Spice Cured.
A9254901-3F51-4BB9-9FDF-C1B67AB269A8.jpeg
2AF37879-B0A8-4B8F-88D0-9DBD75BD39C2.jpeg

9 days curing (instead of planned 7), 6 hours of air drying, then 2 hours in smoker using apple wood:
Pork Belly 2.JPG
Pork Belly 1.JPG