ALMOND CAKE MALLORCA

This morning I was thinking what to cook for the Easter holidays. In the last years I spend the Easter holidays in Sicily or Mallorca and it reminded me to make a classic almond cake from Mallorca. Perfect with some ice-cream.

Ingredients

200g blanched almonds (not salty)

200g sugar

6 eggs

1 organic-lemon (only peel!)

1 organic orange (only peel!)

24-26cm springform pan (9,5-10inch)

icing sugar

optional: add 1tsp cinnamon and 2-3 tbsp Brandy

Preparation

1. Chopp the almonds in a food-prozessor

2. Seperate egg yolk and egg white. Put egg white in a Kitchen aid or Kenwood etc.

3. Whipp the egg white until firm

4. Mix egg yolk with sugar and combine until sugar is dissolved

5. Then add chopped almonds with lemonpeel + orange peel, in addition add carefully firm egg white and combine

6. Add everything to a buttered springform pan and put in the oven for 45-50min by 170C / 340F

7. Remove from the oven and let it cool down. In addition remove part of the springform.

8. Finally add icing sugar on top. Optional serve with ice-cream. ENJOY

IMG_8586

Martin, how is this different from a Tarta de Santiago?

Nola,

its the same cake. At Mallorca they don’t use the cross of the Santiago order on top, I guess.

As you know the island of Mallorca is famous for the almond trees, so no wonder that they make an almond cake or almond soup etc.

Gin Gin
Martin

P.S. what I also should point out that this almond cake contains no flour.

1 Like

Thanks for the recipe, Martin. I just fixed my oven (home repair job from hell) so this sounds like a great inaugural dessert.

I was searching for your recipe (a favorite) but the link seems to be broken?

Ingredients

200g blanched almonds (not salty)

200g sugar

6 eggs

1 organic-lemon (only peel!)

1 organic orange (only peel!)

24-26cm springform pan (9,5-10inch)

icing sugar

optional: add 1tsp cinnamon and 2-3 tbsp Brandy

Preparation

1. Chopp the almonds in a food-prozessor

2. Seperate egg yolk and egg white. Put egg white in a Kitchen aid or Kenwood etc.

3. Whipp the egg white until firm

4. Mix egg yolk with sugar and combine until sugar is dissolved

5. Then add chopped almonds with lemonpeel + orange peel, in addition add carefully firm egg white and combine

6. Add everything to a buttered springform pan and put in the oven for 45-50min by 170C / 340F

7. Remove from the oven and let it cool down. In addition remove part of the springform.

8. Finally add icing sugar on top. Optional serve with ice-cream. ENJOY

Lost in translation, Jay.

I posted the recipe above. Good reminder for myself.

Thanks Martin!

I remembered most of it but was dithering over where the zest got added

1 Like

de nada

I have to thank you, as I have forgotten this beautiful cake. I have just ordered online almonds from Sicily today and will make it next weekend.

Organic (!) lemon and orange peel is essential.

I,also ordered some Sicilian almonds

In the interests of full disclosure I’ve always used regular lemon and orange rind,and the cake has still been fabulous. I’ll give organic a whirl this time round

The organic is not about taste in this case, rather about chemicals.

1 Like