Anyone really into drinking Tea?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone really into drinking Tea?

#201 Post by K John Joseph » May 24th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Mark,

I drink tea inconsistently but got into it for a while. I'd suggest getting a nice teapot that has a mesh filter. If you want something easy, get a mesh ball scooper and an electric kettle (about as fast as microwave, but can do multiple cups and adjust to appropriate temp). When she heard I was interested, my sister got me a big sampling of teas from Simpson & Vail. I honestly do not know where they fall on the quality spectrum of teas, but they have loose leaf tea (or bricks) by type and region. So if you're interested in trying a bunch of different teas, you can buy a dozen 1 oz packages without spending a ton of money. Good way to find out what you like and from where. They have dozens of loose leaf offers, with fair descriptions, from plots all over the world.

https://www.svtea.com/TEA/departments/127/
J0hn-J-K4ne

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#202 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 26th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Merging...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jason Hagen

#203 Post by Jason Hagen » December 12th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Having my last cup of 2019 Crimson Lishen from Floating Leaves. May grab another small batch before it is gone. A wonderful tea that hits with a bit small amount of funk on the front end and then the fruit kicks in. This has been a pleasure.

Jason
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 4.02.12 PM.png

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Having my last cup of 2019 Crimson Lishen from Floating Leaves. May grab another small batch before it is gone. A wonderful tea that hits with a bit small amount of funk on the front end and then the fruit kicks in. This has been a pleasure.

Jason
Any other recommendations?

Jason Hagen

#205 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 10:35 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Jason
Any other recommendations?
For the last 2 years, I have bought almost exclusively from https://floatingleaves.com (no affiliation), so I have put my tea trust in the hands of Shiuwen and Noah. They are as geeky about tea as any wine person I have met and travel to Taiwan on a regular basis. Lots of info on the site as well having them quickly respond to any questions or requests.

I really like Oriental Beauty which is a medium oolong. As well as the Ironbush Honey oolong.

Another one I like is the Red Peony. It is wonderful and unique https://floatingleaves.com/products/red ... b7e3&_ss=r

This morning I had the 2019 Spring Alishan High Mountain oolong that was just a bit too vacant for me. It may be that I just haven't figured out the best brew time.

Post back if you try anything new.

Best,

Jason

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 13th, 2019, 11:37 am

I ordered the Alishan Black and the Crimson Lishen. Néophyte, but I’ll try to report back.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » December 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I have been ordering my teas from Upton Tea Imports for several years and have been quite happy with the service and the teas (the Spring Dragon is a great oolong but they have an extraordinarily broad selection across all styles). But that Dong Ding Documentary was so captivating I had to order some, and some Crimson Lishen, from Floating Leaves to expand my oolong horizons. Thanks for the tip!

Jason Hagen

#208 Post by Jason Hagen » January 21st, 2020, 9:58 pm

So gentleman, did you enjoy the tea? Sometimes there is trial and error in figuring out the best way to brew. Of course, you can always bug the folks at Floating Leaves for advice.

Jason

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 9:58 pm
So gentleman, did you enjoy the tea? Sometimes there is trial and error in figuring out the best way to brew. Of course, you can always bug the folks at Floating Leaves for advice.

Jason
I’m enjoying the Crimson Lishan. I think I was brewing too cold at 180F, 6 grams per 170 grams of water about 6 cups.

What do you do?

Jason Hagen

#210 Post by Jason Hagen » March 27th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 9:58 pm

Jason
I’m enjoying the Crimson Lishan. I think I was brewing too cold at 180F, 6 grams per 170 grams of water about 6 cups.

What do you do?
I am not too scientific about it. I usually let the water boil, wait a few minutes and then rinse the tea once, heating up the pot or cup depending on what I am doing. I occasionally keep notes on where the tea goes after each pour over. Sorry, not much help. Still learning.

Here is my lockdown haul.

Jason
Attachments
C76E2AAF-1942-4E53-85D3-EA69E843B6BA_1_201_a.jpeg

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by dcornutt » March 29th, 2020, 1:29 am

I am a coffee drinker but I am into herbal teas. I love chamomille tea. Good for a soothing drink before bed.

I also love ginger/tumeric root tea with honey.

Brandon Tai has the most incredible raw honey made site specific in our communites here in ATL. My favorite comes from the Oakhurst community here.

I can get the raw tumeric root at a few markets but a local grower brings it to my place of work. Organically grown and beautiful.

It is so soothing. Some make it with coconut milk and make a concoction before bed. I prefer to brew it into a tea. I think it helps with aches and pains. It is a potent antiinflammatory.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”