What's your favorite mustard? Fallot mustard photo added.

The search function forced me back a decade to find a broad-based mustard discussion, and most of the photos are now bad links, so I can’t tell what half of the recommendations are. I like Pommery Moutarde de Meaux, but I know that there are better ones out there and you (meaning me) really need a bunch of different ones for different purposes. I periodically buy random mustards at the store in search of a good one, but my most recent sortie resulted in a Sriracha mustard that was all tongue burn and no mustard flavor. So what’s your favorite(s).

PS - LOOK WHAT I FOUND! Fallot mustard at Yaranoush in White Plains. They bring it in themselves because the wife loves it and they sell the extra.
0608191547_HDR.jpg

1 Like

I love mustard…in almost all forms. My go to these days is from Butterfly Bakery of Vermont. Their website isn’t that great as I know they have a bunch of different mustards. My standard is the one they make with Heady Topper. But I’ve been digging the Chipotle mustard that they make too. I typically stock up when I’m in VT.

Although I like them all, I prefer the grainy style.

Been on a Beaver Sweet & Hot kick recently.

I like Oscar’s More Than Mustard. I wonder if they are similar as the Oscar’s has that sweet and hot thing going.

Haven’t seen that brand on the West Coast. Looks similar.

You mean other than Grey Poupon, of course?

I like Edmond Fallot Dijon. The one with truffles is great, too.

BTW I do like Grey Poupon, but it’s pretty mild next to a real Dijon.

I’ve got some Edmond Fallot we bought in Burgundy in the fridge right now. Good stuff, but it’s fairly strong.

Only sold at Oscar’s Smokehouse in Warrensburg, NY. Oscar’s is one of those dying breed gems that has been around forever.

For Dijon, Fallot is good, Maille is widely available and decent enough, and Roland is actually very good and inexpensive.

At airport I picked up two different Edmond Fallots. One is a “Bourgogne” made with white wine. The other is a “dijon” made with vinegar, and is presumably stronger. I haven’t tried either yet. The Bourgogne was more expensive.

For a US readily available option, I like Sir Kensington.

Homemade. I’ve never tasted any store bought that comes close.

I admit to being spoiled, our local brewery, Sierra Nevada makes great mustards.

Truth.

One of our winemakers near Beaune took us on the tour of the Fallot factory - he had never been. It was fascinating and I learned a lot about the history and making. If they recently produced a batch (often) the aroma is intense and can be tough on the eyes. After the tour, is the tasting/sales room. I bought a ton of the ones they don’t export. Love the Pinot Noir, Vin Jaune and Fig.

When I commented to the vigneron how inexpensive the mustard is, he lamented, “yes, but their product is on the shelf minutes after production. Mine waits 3 years!”

By the way, Bornier makes a very good inexpensive and readily available Dijon mustard, tho Fallot now seems to be everywhere and not much pricier. Certainly more intense.

the Maille Dijon product bought from France. it is different from what we get in America. Bough a kilo last year. Will pick up another this year.

I order Maille as well - LOVE their black truffle with chablis or something like that. Works well on anything.

Maille straight from the tap in Paris. Black truffle with Chablis is my favorite, too.

I have found the common supermarket brand of Mister Mustard, to be pretty good.

1 Like

I never thought of making it myself. Checked out a few recipes. Looks good. A trip to Kalyustan and I’m ready to go.