What meals did you grow up on

that you still enjoy? By far it has to be tuna casserole topped with crushed Lays chips, pan fried Hormel corned beef with a sunny-side egg over a small helping of rice and fried spam and egg sandwich. Not very healthy, but every now and then flirtysmile

Potatoes. Sautéed, rösti, mashed… any kind, any time.
A few years ago we went skiing in Switzerland while at my parents for xmas near the border, I had rösti for breakfast at Mövenpick, saucisse and fries at lunch, and tartiflette (potatoes, roblochon, bacon and onions backed in the oven) for diner. Awesome diet.
When in Spain, I eat tortilla at least once a day. Never gets old.

Alain

Dad always wanted meat, potatoes, and a vegetable. Peas and corn were essentially the vegetables, occasionally canned green beans. Potatoes were fried, mashed, baked. Meat was choice quality at best, overcooked, all pretty simple. Occasionally chicken, never lamb or seafood. Lots of canned stuff. It was a revelation to go to college and discover Asian and ethnic cuisines.

Breaded pork tenderloin, Kraft Mac and cheese and creme corn out of a can.

George

Mushy meat, which is what my sisters and I called pot roast. Growing up in a strictly kosher home, there was no pork, no shellfish, no cheese and meat, etc., so a lot of the current menu was verboten.

Vienna sausage or Spam with a fried egg and rice.

Nada

My grandmother’s mac & cheese was epic.
I made a tweaked version for an offline last year–2 giant pans gone in about 11 minutes.

Kraft Mac & cheese (I know, big surprise)
Fried Bologna Sandwiches
Western Meal in One
Meat loaf
TV Dinners

My mother was not professional in the kitchen. These are the only things I continue to eat and I do remember TV dinner Tuesday when I could choose something I liked.

Kind of gross if you think about it, but I loved it when mom served it. I always mixed it in with my rice.

Nothing. We starved.
Eventually, the surviving family members could afford this.

Spaghetti and meatballs.

Me too, I have to admit.

Sorry, but I have no idea what a ‘western meal in one’ is, lil help?

Beans on toast

Being Catholic, Friday dinner was always Thomas’ English Muffin pizza.

Pasta 3 times a week.

Fried potatoes and scrambled eggs for dinner

Chuck steak once a week or every one week

Lasagna or stuffed shells throw in

Leftovers galore or whatever my mother could throw together and call a meal

NEVER ate out, NEVER ordered in except maybe a pizza once in a blue moon

Lots of Italian bread that our “uncle” would bring from the Bronx.

Venison that hunters would give us for allowing them to hunt on our 60 acres.

Horse meat when they were not fast enough to race. :wink:

(…waiting for somebody to name “corkage”…)

Porcupine meatballs

Kraft Mac & cheese as well
Really good Italian bread from a bakery in Bridgeport
Shepherds Pie (not backed like UK version but fresh mashed pots, peas and ground beef in gravy over the top)
Ham and Cabbage
Lots of scrambled eggs
Corned Beef Hash

and for truly special occasions, Appiza with Schmoz from Three Corners or Jerry’s.