Recirculating range hoods... worth anything?

I need to get new kitchen appliances and prefer to avoid a remodel, so am looking for more-or-less drop-in replacements. My current range is on an interior wall with a microwave over it and cabinets over that (with maybe a 3ft gap then between the cabinets and the ceiling). I think I could, in theory, remove the microwave and either run a vent duct through the cabinets or remove them as well, and then do a 90-degree turn and out the wall. That would probably give me more options on a range including something that I’d actually enjoy. That said, I’m not sure how big of a production that is and I’d have to find a new spot for the microwave. I could, alternatively, either use a recirculating range and just find a new spot for the microwave, or just rely on the (presumably not very good) recirculating fan/filter in the microwave itself, though those probably both limit what I can do with the range.

I’ve got someone coming over on Saturday to look over things but they’re in the appliance business, not the remodeling one, so I’m guessing they’ll try and steer me away from a vent. Anyone deal with a similar layout with success?

Figure out how to get a vented unit installed. Recirculating units are nothing more than grease traps

Agreed. Our stove was on an interior wall with a recirculating fan and it was awful. Priority one in our kitchen remodel was to move the stove to an exterior wall and vent it outside with as short a run as possible.

Cooking the way I do I couldn’t even imagine a recirculating hood. I would definitely look at trying to get the vent outside. A long run would worry me as they still get pretty greasy.

George

No recirculating hood will hold a candle to outside venting.

That said, the latter isn’t always possible (as in my condo). I haven’t bit the bullet yet but when I researched it the best option seemed to be the ARS recirculating Vent-a-Hood.

A single 90 turn and out gives you lots of options even if the run is fairly long. I’ve got something similar but with a few more challenges and still move 1200 CFMs. If you pursue this, the first thing to do is to verify that you have a run that isn’t obstructed. Ceiling/floor joists don’t always run in the direction one would guess and there may be other things moving through that space as well. If it’s a straight unimpeded run, I would seriously consider venting out.

Venting outside is always far superior. Second best is a downdraft setup if that works in the space. They aren’t great but much better than nothing i.e. recirculating vent.

Absolutely vent outside if you can. Gold standard is vent outside and also pull in outside air on two separate motors. We did that, but it’s a little bit overkill for most home setups.

Thanks all. Consistent with what I’d found from searching around. I’m shooting for an external vent, so if my setup will allow for it without going all in for an extensive remodel that’s the plan.

Question: Is your kitchen large enough to put an island in? Granted we did it on a remodel but putting a gas cook top in the island allowed us to install a Vent-A-Hood with straight through, (vertical) exhaust system. Also gave us another sink next to cook top that was easy to plumb under the house.

We had a Vent-A-Hood (BEST!!) in our house, but now we have gone Condo. If Phil (or anyone else) tries their recirculating model, please post impressions.

We live in an old brick house and wifey didn’t want to go through the wall. Pretty happy with the Wolf hood. The recirculating unit is separate, sits above, and adds 5 inches to the height