Paris 3 Star Michelin Lunch recs

My wife and I are going to Paris for a Seine river cruise in September and will have a day in Paris beforehand.

She really wants to try a 3-star restaurant, and we thought a lunch option would be best (as we don’t land in Paris until late afternoon and may be too wiped out for a big meal).

We will be staying at the Sofitel Paris le Faubourg if that makes any difference.

I did see the Eating and Drinking in Paris postings, but figured it may be easier to get recs on this specific question.

She is a fan of atmosphere/setting and prefer a pre-fixe menu.

Other than that, no real preferences, but I will be doing a wine pairing and my wife not.

Thanks much.

Tom

Arpege

Le Cinq was great for lunch last August. It has great atmosphere and setting. They were happy to substitute when my wife knew she wouldn’t like one of the courses.

Arpege

Arpege is great. Tho I had dinner not lunch.

Thanks for the recs so far.

Unfortunately, Aprege is not open for lunch on Saturdays, which I probably should have mentioned is the only day we can do this.

I guess I just assumed they were all open for lunch on Saturdays.

Arpege was my first thought as well. I’ve only ever had lunch there and have never been disappointed.

Honestly it seems you want the 3 star experience so just pick one that looks appealing. The 3 star experience is relatively the same in Paris. You have 9 to chose from. I personally like Pierre Gagnaire.

I personally like Pierre Gagnaire as well. Le Cinq is excellent also. Arpege is outstanding and very specific. I think all 3 stars that are great take many visits to really appreciate - maybe because the expectations are so rightfully high and the food is so thought out it takes a while to think with it. Unfortunately David Toutain does not open for lunch, because in my opinion that’s 3 star dining without the corset. Just spectacular.

Personally I prefer Epicure at the Bristol or Le Cinq.

Thanks all for the recs.

Turns out we didn’t have too many options for a lunch on a Saturday, only Le Cinq, Epicure, L’Ambroisie, or Le Pre Catelan.

Ended up making a reservation at Le Cinq, but may change that.

Looked like a very interesting tasting menu and read good reviews about their wine pairings, plus a nice and not too long walk from our hotel, whereas L’Ambroisie and Le Pre Catalan look like driving is needed.

Really looking forward to the lunch. Only other three star we’ve dined at is EMP, which we really liked, but did not love.

I had a lovely lunch at Le Pre Catelan two or so years ago and I’d go back. It’s a beautiful room that delivers that 3* opulence type of vibe - solid wine list and lovely staff.

Went to L’Ambrosie earlier this year for lunch and while I enjoyed it, it’s all a la carte, $, big portions (you get what you paid for, I didn’t feel ripped off or anything like that) but I preferred the food and wine list at Pre Catelan (and Le Cinq over L’ Ambroise and Arpege for that matter).

Also, a ride through Bois de Boulogne might be worth the admission all on its own. There is also the Louis Vuitton Foundation within the park that could be worth a visit depending on what is on exhibit.

Tom:

Le Cinq rocks.We had a wonderful Ravenau Chablis at a decent price. The hotel and flowers are memorable. The dining room feels comfortable even with some of the usual 3 star pomp and circumstance. I would do it again when we get back to Paris.
It was the only 3 star lunch that was open last August.

I think they are open for lunch, but not on a Sat that the OP needed…
Although when i had it, i thought they were solidly 1 star for France standards… between it, and L’astrance, or Arpege, or even passage 53, there’s a pretty significant gap…

Epicure is fantastic. The wine list has some nicely priced gems if you look hard enough.

+1. And they are so friendly and warm there. Loved it.

Wilfred is right for once. I am cynical of hotel restaurants but this is probably the best lunch experience in town. Great environment and excellent cuisine.

Arpege is not for everyone- have to understand Passard’s philosophy. Someone here said that got tired
of all the beet dishes- he obviously didn’t get it.

I got it. I just didn’t want to eat 5-6 beet dishes. It was uninteresting and repetitive.

Heaven forbid someone have an opinion when you weren’t eating the same meal I was.

I didn’t even remember who made this comment so I don’t think there is a reason to get defensive.

As I said, Passard is not for everyone. Someone upstream in this topic kind of made the same observation.
I didn’t get it at first either until I got to know him and understand his approach and philosophy.

Someone mentioned L’Ambrosie. Not sure that’s a good place for lunch. Most people enjoy a beautiful day time view and this is a pretty dark, somber place. L’Epicure and Pre Catelin are probably the best for that. You also got this place for an offbeat warm weather lunch but it is clearly not three stars. You have to get there by boat.

I ate at Pre Catelan with Michael. It was amazing. It was better than Arpege. That being said I would probably choose Guy Savoy.

George