Tea Smoked Salmon

Growing up, I’d watch my mom and my aunts tea smoke pieces of duck in a wok and the results were always delicious. There was some beautiful King Salmon at the market, so I decided to cure and smoke it that way versus on the BGE.

First, the salmon was cured in equal parts kosher salt and organic sugar (for that slight touch of molasses) for 4 days as it was a thick piece. It was then rinsed and patted dry. I lined the wok with a large piece of heavy-duty foil and on the bottom, I sprinkled a tablespoon each of sugar, rice, and tea leaves. A rack is then placed on top and the salmon on top of that. The heaviest and largest Le Creuset lid was placed firmly on top and the edges of the foil tightly wrapped over it to seal it. I set the burner to medium-high until I could smell the sugar burning and then turned it down to Medium-low and let it smoke for about 10 minutes. After turning off the heat, I let it sit for 5 more minutes before unwrapping it.

The caramel smell of burnt sugar wafted up along with the fragrant tea. Because the wok was foil-lined, cleanup was a breeze. The salmon is delicious over rice and a little goes a long way. If you’re serving it as steak, I’d cut the curing time to 1-2 days and perhaps remove the fish immediately after smoking rather than letting it sit in the pan so that it’s medium inside.
IMG_3423.jpg

Ooh, this sounds lovely. Thank you for sharing; I want to try this soon.

Let me know how it goes!

Christine, I remember you posting this on eBob back a billion years ago, and I can vouch for this one. I used jasmine tea, and it was very tasty.

Ha! I’m so senile I don’t remember posting it, but it sounds like something I would do [wow.gif]

I’m glad you enjoyed it! [cheers.gif]

This looks delicious! Is the fish fully cooked during the smoking process, or will I need to use previously frozen salmon?

Hi Betty,

For the timing I described, it’s not only cured with salt (and sugar), it’s fully cooked. It’ll keep in the fridge for a week.

Awesome, thank you!

Thank you again for the recipe! I cured a one-pound piece with skin on using 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 kosher salt for 24 hours, then I let it rest in the fridge for another twelve and got a nice medium cure. I think I smoked at too high a temp and the fish came out looking slightly burnt, but it was still delicious!

That sounds fantastic. I will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing.

PS - Your miso-honey glazed asparagus with poached egg makes frequent appearances on my dinner table.

Now I’ve seen this photo twice. Westchester Foodies rock.

This looks both delicious and doable. About how long does it keep after smoking?

Hi Jay!

If you cook it all the way through, it can keep for a week in the fridge. I know because I ate a little of it every day for a week in different iterations: over rice, scrambled in eggs, in a salad…

flirtysmile

I love WF!