James Suckling loves pizza. So do I.

Great feature! I just wanna grab a cheap and quaffable Chianti and dig in.

Great video Jörgen. They get some of the history wrong, but I was getting hungry watching, even the fried one, and I don’t even eat fried food.

I love the way the start pizza looks. Couldn’t figure out what the third guy was using on his bench. He had corn meal, flour, and it wasn’t clear what the brown was?

Brilliant pizzas though.

Lovely video.

100 point on that.

Looks grittier, possibly semolina flour though that typically is a little lighter in colour (but then the normal flour looked darker as well). It’s something I use myself when making pizza (by chance - yesterday)

I really appreciate the video & might share with my Italian tutor, who is brilliant at digging such videos out of the internet.

Regards
Ian

p.s. I accidentially came up with an interesting variant by grabbing the wrong tube from the fridge - rather than tomato puree (watered down a little to make passata consistency) I grabbed a not too stong tube of peperoncino / chilli. The end result was a ‘just right’ (for me) level of spiciness. A very different beast, but one I’ll do again.

Great video. I will be visiting Franco Pepe in April at his Caiazzo restaurant. I’m excited.
The brown looks like either Spelt or a coarse whole wheat flour mix to me. I get it, the texture added that is.

I was thinking some kind of whole wheat. I’ve found it’s actually easier to use that on the bench than to use white flour. The dough kind of slides around on it more easily.

Anyhow, if you’re going there, have a great time. Should be a brilliant trip! I’d probably try every pizza I could find. Did that years ago with my girlfriend, traveling through France and Belgium looking for the perfect chocolate truffle.

BTW, looks like you need to get there early. That line he had probably lengthens by the hour.