50 Top Pizzeria Europe and North America

Saw a tweet from James Beard about this organization out of Naples and their Top 50 Pizzeria’s in North America.

Razza in NJ takes the top spot for North America. It makes for some good reading and debate. Looks like I have a lot of places I need to check out.

Calling Mike P…

https://www.50toppizza.it/home-2019

Cheers

The reality is that there’s a lot of good pizza made in the US and elsewhere now. When I moved to CA in 1995, it wasn’t easy to find a good pizza. Now I can get a great pizza two blocks from my house. BTW I’ve been to Lombardi’s which is #100 on their North America list, and there are probably thousands of better places in the US. The others I’ve been to, I would say belong on the list (e.g. Sally’s, John’s, DiFara) as they are among the best I’ve had - but you only have to read the threads on DiFara’s here to see that a bunch of people disagree.

A place that I think in general has good pizza, Milwaukee. A place in general that has surprisingly bad pizza is Denver.

Oh people will always disagree. That’s what makes it fun but agree the quality of pizza has risen dramatically in North America. One of the best places I’ve had pizza recently was in Tulsa Ok at Andolini’s. Haven’t finished the list to see if it make top 100 but it sure should have.

On lists like these I wish they put them on a map (would make planning a trip much easier, especially in a different country/continent).

I see that Pizzeria Bianco is #2. Here is an article about pizza in Phoenix that has a bit about Chris Bianco’s approach to making it (he mills his own flour, for one thing).

Bianco is near my wife’s office so we meet there for lunch occasionally. It is excellent, but there is also a wood-fired place about 3 minutes from home that makes very good pizza.

Damn. Now the lines are going to get even longer.

Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too busy

I would imagine Pete Wells article about best pizza in NYC caused an uptick in business ?? I’m definitely going before the year is over.

If by an uptick in business you mean it went from a short/no wait for a table to lines going around the corner then yes. Fortunately it’s still easy to get take out. Not as good as fresh from the oven but still really good and the walk home is usually shorter than waiting on line.

Labriola ? lololololol

Lovely’s 50/50 is really good in PDX but kinda chichi for me sometimes. Red Sauce is moving which breaks up the best west coast pizza block as they will no longer be neighbors with Pizza Jerk.

A map would be great!

Reno clocking in at #76. Good pie there.

My relative tied for first in Europe and was #13 in North America.