Rao's NYC - need some help/luck

Some may know that I’m in Italia Oct- Dec. I fly into JFK on 12, and our daughter, who is 18 has asked if she could meet my there (she’s a freshman in Boulder).

Rao’s is, I suppose, notoriously difficult to get into, so I’m asking if anyone here might have a way that the 2 of us might be able to check one of her bucket list items?

The dates could be 13, 14, 15 December.

all fingers, and toes, crossed

Tim

Only times I’ve been is when reservations were purchased through charity auctions. But that was in the aughts so things may have changed.

Good luck getting a reservation for you and your daughter but if you don’t you won’t be missing great food. Growing up my grandmother made most of the same dishes on their menu much better.

I have seen charity auctions pop up here and there. Not a great help, but the bottle sauce is pretty good… tastes the closest to a sauce if I try to make it myself.

Was curious and checked for current auctions:
$5K for party of 4, food and drinks not included…

Booked years in advance even for regulars. Your only chance (and it’s low) is to go to the bar and MAYBE if a table is available they will take pity on you

I had no idea of the history and found this article if interested

Says you can hang out at the bar and if the regulars leave by 9:30 they may seat someone. 10 tables with “owners” ~80 owners, interesting.

thank you to all that have responded/PMd. I’m guessing we (ok, my daughter) might roll the dice and try the bar, though she’s just turning 19, and so she’ll be pretty bored at the bar watching others eat - at some point, anyway.

She’s making all A grades so far at UC Boulder, and so even if we don’t share a visit at Rao’s, we’ll have a few other days in which to catch up and celebrate life.

This is a fascinating article. The retail side Rao’s Marinara sauce is one of the best you can buy that you don’t make at home.

Good luck getting a table Tim.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to eat there since the 80’s. There products are great! Best ingredients only

Sauce is great. Great price at Costco.

Ate there once, many years back. It is/was quite good and quite a scene. There is a lot of great Italian in NY and there are places with the old school vibe that you can get into without some long and uncertain wait at the bar. Bamonte’s in Brooklyn comes to mind as does John’s of 12th St (though the food there isn’t as good as the scene), Frank on Second Ave and, of course, Carbone which isn’t really old school but does a great impression of it.($$$ but cheaper than buying your way into Rao’s)

Tim, I think u just found your hook up!!!

U don’t eat there for 35 years without being able to get a table! :wink:

Wish I could help but they book years in advance.

thanks everyone for your time, very nice of you.

I’ve shared this with our daughter, kind of prepared her. She understands, but ever since that first jar of Rao’s years ago at home, she’s still starstruck with their products. No dad wants to say “sorry kid”, not happening", but here we are; she understands, and I’m pretty sure she knew it was next to impossible (this is all news to me, didn’t even know about the place).

Go to the bar! Even if you don’t get seated it will be a nice memory for the 2 of you

Steve, what’s the vibe/scene like at the bar? LOcals or tourists, it’s not somewhere I thought I wanted to try but after reading the article it sounds kin of cool

Small bar, usually locals. My father used to go often when he lived in the city even if he wasn’t eating there that night

I should add it’s not in the greatest area

Just make a reservation under Pete Wells!