Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

Ok, so I made Coq au Vin on Sunday. I’m going to turn the remnants of the Chicken into a pot pie. That’s easy.

The question I have… Can I use the leftover “gravy” from the dish to be the liquid to fill the pot pie, or am I going to make everyone sick if I do that? Seems like it should be ok, but not sure.

The cooked au Vin sauce? Not sure how you’d make folks sick as it is fully cooked (yes?) but you’ll have to be judicious with either how much you use, or thicken it with a roux or cornstarch as the crust may not bake properly since the sauce is thinner.

That’s what I thought… just wanted to make sure. And, Yes, I’m going to thicken it with flour. Thanks!

Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.

George

Then, cover with sauce, and serve. Nobody is the wiser.

This. And assuming proper refrigeration in the meantime.

I do all sorts of things with leftover Turkey, gravy etc, from holiday feasts. By the final stage soup it’s probably a week. (Hot turkey, cold turkey, turkey stew, turkey soup). Or I’ll freeze some of it.

Just curious, red or white wine with the coq au vin? Red would be terrific seasonal dish, albeit an unusual pot pie , especially with a hint of seasonal spices added.

Bake the crust separately and assemble at the end? Better to thicken sauce though.

It’s dangerous if it’s heated up multiple times. A second time would be ok assuming proper refrigeration, which also means not letting it sit around for hours before refrigerating.

In my kitchen, all perishable food is either cooking, refrigerated, frozen, or being eaten. Sitting on the counter means food contamination or spoilage risk.
(What happens at the shop is another matter.)

Wasnt that what he was trying to avoid?

I did a white wine coq au vin. Had it at a restaurant a few weeks back and decided to give it a go at home.

Why is heating something multiple times dangerous? Assuming it’s not sitting unrefrigerated for hours between those multiple reheats of course.

TheFDA doesn’t seem to agree with me https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/leftovers-and-food-safety/ct_index

I think the key is proper cooling and refrigeration as well as heating to sufficient temperature.
I would think that the biggest risk in this sort of sequence has to be the original prep of the raw chicken especially if it has the skin attached.

I think the FDA is probably more worried about the trips the food takes through the “danger zone” temp-wise, than actual reheating.

Short answer, Jim… no, you’re fine.