Poultry Stuffing specifically TG Turkey.

Hosting Thanksgiving again this year. I was pondering my stuffing recipe, not exactly happy with versions past, and thought about altering it.
It is a traditional herb stuffing with celery, onion, bell pepper base with typical poultry seasoning herbs, stock, etc…

My issues with it in the past is that I find it dry, crumbly, and just not as good as my Mom’s or Grandmother’s.

WHY NOT MAKE IT MORE LIKE A SAVORY BREAD PUDDING BAKED IN THE FRIGGIN’ TURKEY?
I’ve looked at numerous recipes and don’t see egg in any of them. If I added a small amount of beaten whole egg, my expectation is a moister, more rich, flavorful end result.

Thoughts?

I skip the bell pepper, and use sautéd mushrooms and sausage. Will pre moisten with turkey stock

I’m a sucker for good cornbread stuffing (holds moisture well) and my grandma’s spiced pork stuffing (I haven’t made it but it’s minced pork and has cloves).

this is my go to stuffing. it takes some work but it is worth the trouble

I’ve spent the past decade fine-tuning my cornbread and Challah dressing and it includes 2-3 beaten eggs that holds it together nicely. I make enough dressing to fill two 9”x14” baking dishes, so it is just enough egg to hold it together and keep it moist.

I typically make a gallon plus of turkey stock on Monday or Tuesday night and use it for the dressing and gravy and I’ve found it makes a big difference. One reason to do it ahead is that it chilling it makes it easy to skim the fat from the stock for the roux for the gravy.

I do a sausage meat stuffing (w gherkins calers snd orange zest) and a ‘veal forcemeat’ basically herbs lemon and parsley w breadcrumbs and suet in the neck.
Neither of these is dry. In fact if I have a less than top quality bird I stuff the bird (sausage meat in cavity and veal force meat in the neck) and start it upside down and cook it a bit slower. This gives terrific internal bashing. Top quality bird I cook it faster with the stuffings separate.

Def make turkey stock ahead.

Don’t overthink it, I say. I’ve never used a recipe, nor has my mother or grandmother. I like a stuffing that retains its integrity, with chunks of bread evident in all their glory, rather than becoming a homogenized mush. I make a batch of cornbread a few days in advance (no sugar!!) and let it get a little stale. Crumble that in a huge bowl, and tear by hand most of a loaf of slightly stale old fashioned white bread (not soft like Wonder), store bought, and a few slices of whole wheat for variety. Ripping the bread is a job any kid in who is around Thanksgiving morning can do just fine. Saute a large onion, some garlic or shallot if you like (or not), and a bunch of celery in plenty of butter and add to the bread along with some chopped herbs (whatever I have, just make sure there’s some sage), some poultry seasoning (the only time of year I use it, amount varies depending on much fresh herb I added), plenty of fresh cracked pepper and salt, 2-3 beaten eggs and some sauteed sausage if I have it and feel like it. I don’t usually, but Jonathan likes it - it’s big in Philly, I’m told. Pour a little homemade chicken or turkey stock over it to moisten a bit more, toss around by hand, and then press it in a baking dish to bake. I usually use a good sized Le Creuset, as I make a ton of it. I like the top to be crispy. Remember that gravy makes up for any imbalances. Everyone loves it, every time.

I’ve eyed the recipe Suzanne linked several times, but the sweetness turns me off. Both JR and I dislike sweet things in savory dishes, generally. And on a Thanksgiving plate, sweetness can get overpowering easily, so I try and keep stuffing totally savory. I do like the mushroom idea, though, and might try adding those to the onion/celery sautee.

I make one very similar sarah. Tastes like home and some classics need no update