Scrambled eggs

I like to add a bit of milk to my scrambled eggs to get them light and fluffy. My wife doesn’t like it - claims they make them runny. Any recommendations on how to spice up scrambled eggs?

Habanero peppers .

1 Like

Milk is kind of cheating, and your wife is right - they don’t come out with the proper texture. The real way to get light and fluffy is cook them oh so slowly in a skillet over a simmering pot of water with plenty of butter. I don’t always have the patience. I love to mix them with chopped kimchi and whatever vegetable leftovers I have from the night before. Sunnyside up is better for you, since the yolks don’t oxidize, but scrambled is more versatile.

What kind of milk have you been using? Mine’s not spicy.

I do like to add Ndjua. It’s a spicy prosciutto spread.

1 Like

I’ve been using 2%

I like adding a bit of half & half.

The more you stir and shake, the smaller the curd. Don’t overcook them. Add butter at the end to stop the cooking process. Never add milk.

1 Like

I basically do this with butter instead of water: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/videos/3694-creamy-french-style-scrambled-eggs

Yes. Milk in eggs is no good. Cooking them slowly is the way to do it. It does take a long time to do it right. There’s no perfect shortcut but I find that a decent alternative is to cook them over higher heat but take the eggs off the heat and stir as soon as the bottom really starts to cook. Then repeat over and over until done.

The best way to make them fluffy is to use water of all things. It really makes the eggs light. Only a tablespoon or so. Cook slow on medium low heat. No milk for sure. As far as kicking them up, I like peppers, hot sauce, cheese, bacon …

2 Likes

Another anti-milk vote here. I vastly prefer making an omelette. Adding fresh herbs and cheese makes it one of my favorite things to eat.

We use olive oil…no milk.

No milk. Choices are bacon, bacon and cheese, chorizo or chorizo and cheese. Depends on how hung over you are.

1 Like

I use the Gordon Ramsay method. Crack the eggs into a non-stick pan over medium heat and constantly stir with a spatula until they begin to cook and thicken a bit. Then toss in butter (tbsp to 4eggs) and continue to stir, remove from heat, add s&p to taste and continue to stir over heat until desired consistency. Add a tbsp or more of creme fraîche to stop the cooking process and serve immedately. The texture is unlike any eggs I have ever eaten.

1 Like

yep, this way is great. Fresh chives from the garden too

My wife does it this way and they are fabulous. Doesn’t use creme fraiche much due to watching the diet a bit.

I don’t always either but that’s his recipe.

I beat in yoghurt for brightness and fluff.

A tiny bit of milk or cream in well whisked eggs … hot pan, good amount of butter, do not stir but “pull” the set egg portions to the center as the remaining liquid progressively sets. Liberal pepper, a bit of salt … and all good. Oh and cooked ideally in a copper clad reverware frying pan.

I was shocked the first time I had breakfast with my ex’s family (and should have realized right then we were not meant to be) when his father heated a cast iron skillet and broke the eggs directly in, letting them almost set like an overpays, then stirred them in situ to a scramble. no no no

When I have time I do it in a double boiler with butter, no milk. These days I add a dash of fish sauce in lieu of salt. Really ups the umami.