Wine pairing with "Angry Crab?"

Hi, Folks.

I have a great client who makes a Filipino-inspired recipe she calls, “Angry Crab.” Since they live here in the PacNW, she uses Dungeness. From what I understand, it’s a relatively simple wok-cooked recipe that involves crab (in shell) and lots of chili and garlic. They say it’s messy but delicious. I know there are many similar versions of this dish from many SE Asian countries, likely with a myriad of subtle differences, but I’m sure you get the idea.

I’d like to give them a nice wine to pair with it, but I’m not sure what. I’d imagine a little residual sugar would be nice, but I also don’t want to turn them off by having a “sweet” wine (they definitely like and enjoy wine, but aren’t wine enthusiasts).

What would you recommend?

Champagne or Riesling.

Could see a skin contact white/orange wine potentially faring well too.

Otherwise, beer.

Gewurz too.

I’d go with Spatlese or even Auslese Riesling depending how spicy and heavy the dish is. The sweetness should counter the heat nicely (depending on just how “angry” it is), the acidity should help cut through the oil they’re frying in, and the overall fuller body of the wine should hold up well against the overall boldness of the dish. I don’t know that many people that are turned off by quality sweeter wines, especially when they pair so well with what they’re eating.

I’m quite familiar with chili-garlic crab (prawns too). Agree with champagne, (dry) riesling & gewürz. With the version of the dish I know, certain Sancerres also do well (e.g., Domaine Vacheron Sancerre Les Romains and similar).

I like Jura with Chinese and Filipino dishes. California Chardonnay also, especially with Cantonese inspired dishes. It can stand up to some heat, ginger, and garlic. Can’t go wrong with those already mentioned.

Namasake would be great too.

There is a pun somewhere in that answer, I’m sure.

Depending upon how many, penicillin?

This! Plus gewruz, as already mentioned.

I bet more people would be turned off by Gewurztraminer than by sweetness. I’d go with a Spatlese Riesling.

Txakolina or Cava or Sekt or Prosecco. The finesse of a good champagne will be lost.

If similar to Singapore chili crab, riesling.

Thanks for the replies above, All. I think I’m going to find a good Riesling!

Huh?

My best results with dishes like this have been with Gewurz with some residual sugar. Even novices who “don’t like sweet wine” have usually loved the pairing. As much as I love German Rieslng, it gets clobbered by a dish like this.