Looking for tenderloin roast rec

We are hosting Christmas this year and I’ve been requested to do a beef tenderloin roast for our main. Not a roast I have purchased in some time. I love Flannerys but am wondering if anyone has any other sources for some great tenderloin. I don’t need Kobe level but a high quality, well butchered full tenderloin that can ship. Am also going to check my local whole foods and wegman’s to seen if there are any viable options there. Thanks in advance for any tips or direction. Greg

I often do a roast beef tenderloin with 5 onion confit that is excellent.

Season loin with salt and pepper, sear it off and set aside

Cut into thin slices: 1 red onion, 1 yellow, 2-3 shallots, bunch of scallions (white and green parts, and a few cloves of garlic finely minced.

Saute the above in the searing pan until fairly cooked down, and lightly caramelized

Mix beef broth to the onions and add the loin back, roast until meat at desired temp

While meat is resting put onion mixture back on stove top, add cognac and reduce into sauce consistency. Add more broth as needed to ensure onions are cooked down enough

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve medallions with a ladle full of the onion sauce

Goes great with a gruyere potato dish (multiple versions work fine: au gratin style, mashed, rosti, etc).

I dont really measure much but can probably find the original recipe and send if needed

I have cooked some sort of beef roast (prime rib or tenderloin) for our holiday dinner for years, everything from roasted, grilled, smoked and in our wood fired oven. Last year I used this recipe for tenderloin and this may be the only way I cook it from here on.
[u]https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/slow-roasted-beef-tenderloin-recipe.html[/u]
I cook it in our oven using the oven temp probe (checking with a themopen) then finish it under the broiler with the brown butter, shallots and thyme. This year I may do the final sear in the wood fired oven as the wife is doing the veggies out there.
As for a source, I get a prime trimmed tenderloin from Costco. Used to trim it myself just to get the trimmings for stir fry and kabobs but I’ve gotten lazy.
From last year:
B6ADAF06-8681-4692-BA41-79988AEC9C86.jpeg

The Serious Eats prep is the best

We love this beef in salt crust by Joel Robuchon via Patricia Wells (from Simply French):

http://labellecuisine.com/archives/beef/Beef%20Tenderloin%20Roasted%20in%20an%20Herb-Infused%20Salt%20Crust.htm

The only tricky part is to make sure you don’t overcook it. The beef will continue to cook as it rests in the crust, so you have to pull from the oven at a lower internal temp than you normally would.

Some great recipes and tips, thank you!! I am looking for a retail source to purchase the tenderloin. Costco sounds like a good option Mike, will.have to see if ours has prime. Thanks.

Greg,
Costco will likely carry prime, but on all the cuts, is that the one that’s worth the spread in price? Granted, of all the cuts, more fat is preferred, but…not sure it’s worth the lift.

My $.02

I’ve done choice and it seems to work fine. But I also don’t find much flavor in tenderloin so always cook over fire and then make a sauce as well which may lessen the need to go to prime.

I’ve had Costco prime and choice and generally don’t find that the prime is worth the premium. I also like to get it untrimmed so I can grill the chain separately for what my grandfather called “snitches,” which were little bites that he’d send around while the bulk of the roast was still cooking on the grill.

As for cooking, I like to rub it with a little Dale’s (it is important to use a light touch), salt, and pepper, tie it, sear on a hot grill, and then cook it over indirect heat until done.

Yup, I think the smart way to do this is go choice and save the difference. Going higher grade isn’t likely to translate into anything recognizably better. Plus I like the idea of getting a couple 4 pound center cuts equal sized so they cook and come out at the same time and flavor up with a couple side sauces (we have a pretty good sized crew for Xmas dinner). Thanks for all the tips!! Greg

the last prime tenderloin I purchased at Costco actually had notable marbling. I trimmed and tied it off and then rubbed with EVOO, coarse Himalayan pink salt, cracked pepper. On the smoker for about an hour at 225 and then seared it off on the plancha. served with chimichurri

Tested this last night. Far and away the best filet I’ve ever cooked. I’ll probably use more spices next time but I’m hooked on the process. Medium rare to the rim.

[thankyou.gif]

Lonnie,
Glad it worked for you.
As for the above prime vs choice opinions I also have found the Costco prime fillet to be well marbled and personally believe it’s worth the cost difference if it’s a special occasion.
My wife doesn’t care for the funky taste of aged meat so Costco works well in our case. When we are just buying for ourselves we always get the prime filets unless we see a really well marbled choice which does happen occasionally.

I had to do it again. This time Costco choice.
20200118_192719.jpg